Find
Notify
Tools

Get it to fit?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello friends

Got a question for you. I have a couple of Argentine 1909's and I have a FN bolt shroud (not with the safty on it) but it won't fit the 1909 bolt. I tried it on a Turk and it fit fine but on these two rifles and a few other 1909's they have never screwed in all the way.
Any suggestions?
I would like another original FN shroud if you know where I can get one.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your experience sounds normal to me. I have had a few of the 3 position safeties made by various artisians do exactly the same thing. They screw on quite a ways and then stop going any further. I have even had regular 98 mauser style safeties that wouldn't work on other 98 mausers.

I suspect its just the way the threads were machined. I have had some good luck putting the 3 position safeties on by using a little lapping counpound coupled with a little bit of elbow grease and a lot of turning and backing and turning and backing. Eventually they go on.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells a tap that will clean up/cut the bolt shroud threads in the bolt body. I've used one to clean up some Mausers I have.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=637&s=

A bit pricey and I don't recall having paid that much for mine but, it sure cures some headaches.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding these Mauser bolt threads.

The FN threads will be on the large side.

While the 1909 Arg will be the smallest thread you can find.

Most of the sleeves will have to be fitted, and lapped to just screw into a 1909.

At one time I had about 2 dozen 1909 Arg actions, ( that was about 20 years ago) I went thru them all and slected one that had the tighest threads of all of them.
I then used that action to set my thread diameters and firing pin depth.

Ed Lapour now has that action since he bought my saftey tooling.

Brownells show the tap at 1/2 x 13 threads which is incorrect.
The correct thread is a 2mmpt pitch with a .03mm flat crest top and bottom with a major diameter of .508.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote