Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

?'s about my latest rifle project
 Login/Join

posted
I have a model 700 Remington BDL barreled short action in 243 Win. I have narrowed it down to a Tactical 20. I was also thinking about a 6.5-284 but am not sure the action is long enough for larger bullets. Will I need to buy a new bolt for this action with a .223 face on it? Are there replacable parts on the bolt or will it need a complete new bolt? Is there anything that needs to be done to the magazine? I am considering having Krieger or Pac-Nor doing the barrel work. Is there anything else I may be missing?

Thank you all in advance!

35Whimp

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I built a 6.5-284 for a friend on a short action but he uses it as a single shot for long range competition. A long action would be much better if you want to use it as a magazine rifle. I assume that in your fourth sentence you were speaking of the .20 Tactical. You don't have to buy a new bolt, you could have the bolt face bushed and put a SAKO style extractor in it but, you still wouldn't be able to use it as a magazine rifle, the .243 opening is too big. All in all, you'd be better off getting the appropriate action for the caliber, REM 700 LA for the 6.5-284 and a short action, .223 bolt face for the Tactical. You could probably trade your action for one or the other that you need.
Krieger is argueably the better barrel but I have a PAC-NOR in .204 Ruger thats a "barn burner" and PAC-NOR is definately cheaper.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could get a new bolt from Pacific Tool.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Used 700 bolts seem to bring a pretty good price, if you will be paying someone else to do the work you might be better off buying a new bolt as Mr Harren suggests and selling your current one.

Midway used to carry rem bolts too IIRC. You'll need to change the magazine from the 243/308 size to the 222/223 size, and a new follower and spring too. I believe they'll just swap over but if they don't I'll bet someone will chime in soon. Smiler

Oh, the 20 Tac is a nice round, good choice!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tac20 is a sweet round. Might be better off (cheaper) To go with a 20BR. No bolt face mod. 22Br bushing dies (no custom) and a single shot follower. No form dies, neck down and fire. 22 seater stem will work fine with 20cals

I have wanted for a while a light weight 6.5 RSUM. 7mm short mag bushing dies. Same performance as a 6.5-284 the will fit in a short action. Few bucks to get the bolt face opened up.

Pac-Nor makes nice barrels, I never had them do any Smithing for me. Customer service is great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My old early 70s .222 has narrower feed rails than the 6MM &.243 versions I have messed with.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did see that Midway has new bolts in .223. They are 130.00. Not cheap but is an option. Maybe I can come up with a .223 action somewhere.

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote