Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Barrel Bushing Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
I just got a new bushing and it is about 6 thou to big around the outside. Whats is the best way to take this down to size? Thanks.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean about the outside.
What portion of the bushing are you referring to, the part that shows outside of the gun or on the inside?

To be properly fit, you need to use a lathe and make a mandrel etc.
If you don't have a lathe, take it to a gunsmith.

-Spencer

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Spencer is going to be horrified at me, but I am assuming that you are meaning the collar on the outside of the bushing is too big to fit into the front of the slide. If so, and you are out in the boonies or just have a bit of time on your hands, you can carefully use a fine file to bring it down. Go very slowy and do not take off more than one pass in any area, keep turning and trying the bushing. Me, I would just use a stock bushing that does not need fitting. Remember that bushings are cheap, but if you screw up the front of your slide that isn't so cheap...

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, I'm not mad.
If it is indeed the outside, a file is fine because the tolerances don't matter, it is just cosmetics.
Only if you need to fit the bushing so that it actually fits into the gun do you need a lathe.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
Mark you understood my question and I am doing what you suggested. Thanks, I just wanted to be sure.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote