New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will Muzzle Break effect accuracy???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if I have a gunsmith install a muzzle break on my rifle will it hurt or change the accuracy of the rifle.

The rifle is a .378 Weatherby Mag. Mark V Deluxe.
The reason I ask, is that the barrel is real thin at the muzzle. I'm thinking of getting one that is removable. Thanks

Scratch

Posts: 48 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IF it's done correctly, the addition of a muzzle brake should not affect your rifle's accuracy.
It will probably cause the POI to move (change in barrel harmonics), and it may improve your ability to shoot tighter groups due to less perceived recoil.

You should shoot with earplugs AND muffs, though.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unlike porting, which cuts through the rifling, a muzzle brake with a full expansion chamber does not have any contact with the rifling at all. A muzzle brake may affect velocity but it should not affect accuracy. As mentioned above, POI will probably change for a particular load when switching from no brake to brake. Unless it is a custom rifle, your 378 WB should come with a removeable brake already from the factory. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
I shoot a 338-378 Wby with a brake. I did my initial load workup with the brake on. Taking off the brake did change the POI about 1 1/2 inches high and to the left. The group also opened up a bit. I blame barrel harmonics for both changes. There was no change in velocity shooting the same load over a chrony both with and without the brake. I minor adjustment to the scope to re-zero and a reducing the powder charge a grain or two, and the groups imnproved. When I do my job behind the rifle, it will shoot MOA either way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sctatch I had a muzzle break installed on a 300WBY and a 257 WBY [before I know better, I do not like a break, too loud]. They were done by Phil Koene of KDF in Seguine TX. He does excellent work. The rifles shot just as good if not better after the breaks were installed. It made the 300 WBY kick like a 243. It kicked MUCH less than a Rem Mod 7 in 308. They do work, but they are loud.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 112 with the adjustable muzzle brake(brake on, brake off). When I was developing my loads I was using a chronograph I checked shot strings with brake on and brake off. I found negligible differences in velocity (10-20 fps) with the brake open compared to closed. I also had no difference in POI. As a matter of fact, I got tighter groups with the brake open. Could be a recoil thing on that since it is a .300 RUM.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm forturnate, none of mine change POI with or without the brake. None ever have. Today i only use a brake of the worst of kickers like a 458 Lott or up. The brake is what taught me to shoot the really big bores. I still love them for benchwork.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone that replyed, I'm more than likely going to have to do something.

Every time I shot, the top shell down in the magazine gets the bullet pushed father down into the brass. Not to mention it flattens out the tip.

Mingo,

My .378WM never came with a muzzle break from the factory, maybe they do now. I bought this gun 15 years ago.

Thanks

Scratch

Posts: 48 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scratch:
Thank you everyone that replyed, I'm more than likely going to have to do something.

Every time I shot, the top shell down in the magazine gets the bullet pushed father down into the brass. Not to mention it flattens out the tip.

If your bullets are seated at the cannelure, try a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I guarantee you the bullets won't seat deeper into the brass under recoil. I can't help you on the flattened tips unless you go to a bullet with a polycarbonate nose.

Good luck.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell E
Taylor

Crimping the brass will help, might even eliminate the problem.
My only question is (I'm shooting 300 grain Nosler Partitions and they have a cannelure) if I seat the bullet any deeper so I can crimp into the cannelure I'll be farther from my riflings.
Will this make any differnce since the Weatherby is freebored? Could I crimp the bullet good enough with a RCBS die?

Thanks

Scratch

<G.Malmborg>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I guess I'm forturnate, none of mine change POI with or without the brake. None ever have.

I would like to pose a question, If a muzzle brake is performing as designed by redirecting muzzle energy to oppose recoil forces and to help stabilize the muzzle, then how is it possible to maintain the same POI with or without the brake?

Malm

<David>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by G.Malmborg:
I would like to pose a question, If a muzzle brake is performing as designed by redirecting muzzle energy to oppose recoil forces and to help stabilize the muzzle, then how is it possible to maintain the same POI with or without the brake?

By the time the brake has a chance to do its work, the bullet has already left the barrel, it's the gases escaping behind the bullet that make brake effective. The action of the brake reducing recoil does not affect the bullet flight. The added weight of the brake on the end of the barrel will affect the barrel harmonics. If the harmonics are not significantly changed by the weight of the brake, then the POI does not significantly change.

For example, I have a 1000yd bench gun in 300 Win Mag with a very heavy match barrel that shoots POI within 1/2 inch with or without the muzzle break. I can spot this difference because the rifle regularly shoots 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. With most hunting rifles that behave like this, this small change in POI would not be noticed. A 1/2 inch change in POI would just be perceived as part of the group.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by David:
By the time the brake has a chance to do its work, the bullet has already left the barrel, it's the gases escaping behind the bullet that make brake effective. The action of the brake reducing recoil does not affect the bullet flight.

You would think so, however, there was a short video circulating a few years back showing a sequence of high speed video clips of a rifle being fired with and without a muzzle brake installed. They had somehow introduced some type of dye into the bore to demonstrate that significant force exists ahead of the bullet to influence barrel movement prior to the bullets exit.

The rifle was placed in a "return to battery" type rest where a grid was set up behind the muzzle and used to plot the path of the muzzle when the weapon was fired. The high speed dye sequence indicated there was sufficient force present ahead of the bullet, that the muzzle's movement with the brake present was almost 1/3 of what it was without the brake.

This was an impressive demonstration and helped explain at least one reason why POI's shift in the presence of a brake. This little demonstration backed up what had been my experience with muzzle brake designs over the past 20+ years, and that is the more effective the muzzle brake design, the greater the POI shifts...

Regards,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm: I'll have to agree that a muzzle brake is likely to shift the point of impact, not because of it's effect on the recoil movement of the rifle, but rather because of its effect on the vibration characteristics of the muzzle.

The recoil movement of the gun at the time the bullet exits the muzzle is identical (or virtually so) in a braked and unbraked gun. It is only after the bullet exits the muzzle and the pressured gasses behind it have an opportunity to do "work" on the muzzle brake that the motion of the rifle is affected. The air in the 20 or so inches of bore in front of the chambered bullet that is pushed out in front of the fired bullet is not a significant factor affecting the brake.

As to the accuracy potential of a braked vs. unbraked rifle, in theory there should be little difference. In practice, I can't imagine being able to hit any thing with the second shot from a f*****g muzzle brake after the first shot blasted the s**t out of every living thing in a radius of 15 steps, including all of the orafices in my head. The most effective reduction in perceived recoil afforded by a muzzle brake is that you hardly notice your shoulder hurting when your head is pounding.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Stonecreek,

I share your enthusiasm of being in the immediate vicinity of weapons sporting muzzle brakes. They can be about as obnoxious as a drunk exwife at the front door.

It has been my experience though, that a properly constructed and installed muzzle brake, correctly aligned with the bore so as not to create a situation where contact with the bullet could occur, will not adversely affect accuracy. In fact, the only time I have seen a muzzle brake outright ruin accuracy is when they have come loose or blown off.

The use of a muzzle brake provides some benefits. Depending on the caliber and the muzzle brake, it is quite possible for the shooter to view the results of the bullets impact on the target and in a situation where a quick follow up shot is needed, the shooter can remain on or quickly reacquire the target for the necessary follow up shot.

A muzzle brake can instill confidence in the shooter. They allow the shooter to focus more on the target and less on the impending thump which no doubt helps accuracy.

Indeed they have their good points and they have their place, but sometimes in the presence of others as in "at the range", these positives are overshadowed by their distractions.

The down side to muzzle brakes include muzzle blast! Muzzle brakes by design provide an environment where debris and moisture can enter the bore from many directions. When shooting prone, some muzzle brake designs kick up enough dirt so as to blind or give away a shooters position.

Some people swear by them, and some people swear at them. If a person is going to have one installed, they should excercise common decency when using these in the presence of others and accept the responsibility for their safe use...

Malm

[ 01-20-2003, 21:54: Message edited by: G.Malmborg ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe perhaps the fact that I use stress releived Lothar Walther barrels may have some sugnificance in the fact that my guns shoot to the same POI for all practicle purposes...However I have had a Lilja and several Douglas barrels that didn't change more than an inch at the most.
I am sure proper bedding, and brake installation is also a factor.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send that 378 back to Weatherby and they'll install an Accubrake (KDF copy) for around $100.It won't void Weatherby's accuracy garuntee either.

Your 378 is an older one with #2 contour.Nice and light.I have one with a #3,and while it's nice,I'd much preffer a #2 for carrying.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain M

I appreciate the information.
I just measured my barrel and it is a #3 contour. Are you sure about that price and why so cheap?
I take it that you have a .378 with a muzzle break, what caliber would you compare the recoil to?

Once again thanks
Scratch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Huh?How could it be a #3 Weatherby contour if you bought it 15 years ago?As far as I know,they didn't start making 378s on the #3,until after 1989,when the 416 came out with that contour.

Yup,I have a 378 with the Accubrake.Can't tell you anything though as I haven't gotten around to shooting it yet.Friends who own them claim they kick about like the average 300 Magnum with the brake installed.

Don't know why the Accubrake is cheap.They were $100 a few years ago.Wouldn't be suprised if they wanted more for them now.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain M

I hate to think of it this way but I bought the gun right around the same year the space shuttle blew up.

I might be wrong but that was around 15 years or more.

I also bought a Weatherby Guide book (22nd Edition) copyright 1985. It gives the muzzle measurement of .640 for a .378 WM and that is what my barrel measured.

I e-mail Weatherby last night and asked if they could give me a price to install the break.

Brain, thanks for the information and good shooting.

Scratch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scratch,
Does the booklet say that a #3 is .640 or does it just say the 378 in general comes with a #2?

As far as I know,the 378 in a #3,didn't come along till after 1989,since I don't think the #3 was even available until they brought out the 416.

A 378 with a #2 barrel ought to be REALLY light-like 8 pounds or less unscoped.

Brian.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain M

I just looked and double checked the book again to make sure I wasen't giving you the wrong information.

The book was writen in 1985.

"Quote"

No. 3 contour standard on .378 W.M.

"Unquote"

Then it gives you the measurement of the barrel in differnt location and the weight.

I found this book to be very helpful when it come to reloading. Weatherby tells you the overall length of each caliber. When I was trying to find a good group for my .257 W.M. it wouldn't shoot good until I seated the bullet to their spefications.

One more thing the No. 2 contour barrel was used on .340 .257 7mm and 300 W.M. And for additional money it was used on .22/250 .224 and .240 calibers.

Scratch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected.I guess we both have #3s.

I do know though,that in the 70s,378s were made with #2 barrels.I have seen a few and those barrels were REALLY light.

Yup,used to be on 224-300 you could get #2 for extra money.I have a 22-250 with a #2 made in Germany.

Now,they don't offer any of the magnums with a #1,just the #2 and #3.

Brian.