THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel or rebore a Bannerman Krag Sporter?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
As can be seen by the interesting four shot group below, the barrel is shot out. Yes, those bullets are going through the target sideways. The gun is a Bannerman Krag sporter, that is in otherwise nice shape. I am torn between rebarreling it as a Krag carbine or reboring it to either .338 Krag or .35 Krag. No wrong answer here, so what would you do, and why?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first response is what ever is cheaper.

But the if don't mind dealing with a wildcat they are both interesting.

I most likely re-barrel as I have a ton of 308 caliber bullets and 30-40 dies.

Another idea I had a 93-95 7mm mauser that did this. I cut 2 inches off the barrel as the muzzle was worn out now it shoots very nice groups.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If I recall I have seen the occasional New old stock Krag barrel for sale around here and there. I'd have to do some looking to find the source.
That would be my first inclination.
Rebore is always an option but be careful who you pick, would not even consider JES.

What is the significance of a "Bannerman" Krag Sporter, I'm not familiar with the term?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would just put a new barrel on it; it would make a very light rifle with a bigger hole in it, although I am a fan of those too.
Google Bannermans Island and you will see; he was a huge surplus dealer in the 19th and 20th century, who built his own castle on an island in the Hudson River. It is still there.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Criterion makes very nice barrels for US Krags, both rifle and carbine configuration.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Before I did anything to it, I would give it a very good cleaning and then try some .310-.311 bullets in it. I have a 6.5x53r sporter that flung them sideways with .264 bullets, due to bore wear. I tried some Hornady .268 Carcano bullets in it and it shot them point on at 100 yds.
Just an option if you are trying to keep it all original.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee440 has nailed it. I have a 303 sporter that did the same, went from .312 to .314 bullets and it shoots very nicely.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Calshtr:
Lee440 has nailed it. I have a 303 sporter that did the same, went from .312 to .314 bullets and it shoots very nicely.

Common "fix" for US 1917's too. 310/311 bullets can tighten them up nicely.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A rebore by JES to 35 Krag sounds like a winner to me. Essentially a 35 Winchester.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
A rebore by JES to 35 Krag sounds like a winner to me. Essentially a 35 Winchester.

Mart
There has been numerous tolerance issues from JES and at least one blown up rifle and very poor customer sevice from JES to address the issue. I would not in good faith allow anyone to send a rifle to him, not without warning them at least.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have heard the story and I'm left with more questions of the owner of the rifle than I am of JES's work. That one incident flies in the face of the scores of good reports, my own included, I've heard about JES. I've had one rifle done, a close friend, two, gun club acquaintances, several more, and from what I read on the forums, scores. All successful. I wouldn't be one bit afraid to recommend JES nor afraid to use him again.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...Mart...I've had two done by JES, a 30-30 to 356 Win and a 308 to 338 Fed...BOTH shoot great, no issues whatsoever.

The problem with the 'net is NO ONE TELLS THE TRUTH and you DON'T know the REAL story...whether it was JES or some phu**-up by the reporter and didn't let JES solve the problem.

It would be nice if people would STOP with the bullsh** grassing/ratting out unless they could provide absolute proof and give JES a chance. Mad horse thumbdown

Goof Hunting beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Before I did anything to it, I would give it a very good cleaning and then try some .310-.311 bullets in it.

I'd agree. But FIRST I'd slug the bore. Then you'll know if the answer may be with using bullets for the .303 British or 7.62x54R Russian.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Run my bore scope down the barrel to see how much of the lands are gone. Shortened barrels can make all the difference in the world if only the end is worn. Might get lucky.

quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
what would you do, and why?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem with the 'net is NO ONE TELLS THE TRUTH and you DON'T know the REAL story...whether it was JES or some phu**-up by the reporter and didn't let JES solve the problem.

You are speaking with no real knowledge.
I made calls to retrieve the rifle from JES for the gentleman that had the problem that I'm sure you are talking about as JES wasn't returning the rifle, calls or emails for months and months. That's not customer service.
The customer in this instance was told by JES to shoot factory ammo in the rifle after the customer pointed out that minimum handloads were exhibiting high pressure and velocity, factory rounds blew up the barrel by JES instruction.
The whole mess was returned to JES and he said he would make it right, months go by. I called JES to insure he would return the rifle.
He did.
But he threw it all in a box with disregard instead of padding and shipped it back.
After this I wouldn't trust JES with cleaning my plumbing let alone plumbing a rifle barrel.

By the way it isn't an isolated incident, another AR member has had a nearly identical issue with JES.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. The lands are badly worn, so it really cannot be rescued as-is. The Bannerman sporters were generally parts guns. Since the barrel on this is a cut-down rifle barrel with a 1903 front sight, but the stock is an actual carbine stock, and I can get a new carbine barrel from CMP for about $210, it is worth it to me to configure this as a military carbine. The rear sight will not be a correct carbine rear sight, but then a genuine Krag carbine in good shape sells for well north of $1,000.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the scoop Boomer. Hard to beat $210. for a drop in barrel. Think the new barrel will headspace OK?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The new barrels are short chambered, so will still require final chambering, but the hard parts are done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for a new Criterion barrel too. I used one on my Krag sporter and am absolutely tickled with it. That rifle is now the most accurate Krag I ever owned, and that's saying something.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The question of "headspace" has been brought up. On the Krag, and most other rimmed cartridge rifles, the barrel butts against an inner receiver ring, and on the Krag, the bolt face rim is flush with the front of this ring. Of course the cartridge rim has to sit on the rear face of the barrel. So, in effect, the headspace tolerance is already designed and manufactured into the receiver/bolt assembly. The only way to change it is to machine that inner ring and bolt rim, rearward. Or if your receiver is stretched, make ammo that headspace on the shoulder and treat it like a rimless case. Personally I find them quite uniform and good as is.This is why the British designed the #4 with 5 lengths of bolt heads.
And of course, have to mill the extractor groove.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote