New
Find
Notify
Tools

Universal M1 slide
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a new slide for my Universal carbine any ideas where I may go to find one? Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ksmirk:
I need a new slide for my Universal carbine any ideas where I may go to find one? Later,

Kirk

www.e-gunparts.com ?

more specificly- http://www.e-gunparts.com/prod..._new.asp?CatID=11882

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was the first place I went and my luck they are sold out! Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it broken/cracked.

TIG welding will cure the problem.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was the plan bu when I was removing the slide it came all the way apart! yep my luck has been being stressed the last few weeks. I've been running around this internet the last 2 days without much luck, I just wonder how difficult it would be to fab up another slide rod machine the other off and re-weld the new one on the recoil block? I'm thinking it would be mch easier to find another one! Later,

Kirk

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
IMO they are not worth fixing and if repaired, may not be safe to fire. I've had several come through the shop, all broken the same way from firing out of battery. I think you're better off and safer getting real M1 Carbine.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So I should just count it as a loss? come on now trash a rifle for a broken part? granted they my not be USGI manufactured rifles this one shot pretty well and the only issue I have ever had is this one. I'm sure that I can keep an eye out for a slide or come up with a better way to make one who knows might look at changing it to a bolt operated rig! heck it's broke right? Later,

Kirk

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
A good smith could machine one from solid
Granted it would be a little price but it would keep a decent rifle from going bad.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I assume you've tried a GI one, available at any gun show? I'd imagine that a GI part would either drop in with no problems or could easily be modified to serve. The Universals were made in 2 forms with most of the later ones having the cheap stamped slide. I once owned an early Universal with almost all military parts that was fully the equal of any GI carbine IMO, but the only civilian parts on the entire rifle were the receiver and stock.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I've never seen a Universal M1 with GI parts. The only ones brought to me were made with cheap parts and operate virtually nothing like a real M1. Yes, I'm saying that in this case you're probably better off retiring it; but I haven't seen your rifle and could be wrong about it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There were 3 lots made from Universal, the first was almost completely made from GI parts, the second lot was mostly Universal parts with SOME GI parts this is what mine is but the slide was the cheap formed POS, the 3rd is where Universal really got their bad reputation putting out really bad or should I say cheaply made product.

Toomany Tools, I appreciate your suggestion and especially the nerve to stand up and tell me! I'm just that guy that never likes to stop and give up on something, Numerich carries them but they are out of stock at this time and who knows if they will ever get any in or not and $60 to get this rifle going I'd have no problem spending that much more though I might have to re-evaluate.

I don't know if the GI parts will or could be made to work on this model! I have a close friend that has a GI model and I have talked to him and plan a trip over to check it out and just see what we can come up with this is the same guy that helps me with my rifle builds. I have been tinkering with the idea of changing this over to a bolt rifle but have not had the time to really put into thinking it out to see if it would be possible but ya never know. Later,

Kirk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fulton Armory has them.
Their site also has links to other places with info and parts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure those are for the USGI models. I know a place the has a lazer machine I may just draw the slide portion up and have them cut me one out beefier than the original then cut the old one off the block and reweld it on! that is looking like the easiest way to go about fixing the rifle. Fella's thanks for the information and opinions. Later,

Kirk