New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing a Pre 64 Action...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When honing a Pre 64 Winchester action with files and stones, should the left top rail section between the ring and the bridge be dead flat like a FN Mauser???

Mine is rounded over and has a hump in the middle...

Can anyone post some close up pics of a Pre 64 worked over by one of our master metalsmiths so I can get some inspiration?

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn it Roger, they are not supposed to look that good.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger - Was the action surface-ground first, or just stoned?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Burgess surface ground the action before I polished it.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THAT is the way it is supposed to be done, sheer artistry, exactly what one would expect of Messers. Burgess and Kehr.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Polishing is a pretty simple task after Burgess grinds your action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It should be flat. It should, in fact, look just like the picture! I'd like to make them look that good! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote