New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC PH or CZ 550
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
IF you were building a 416 Rigby which of these 2 actions would you choose to go with and why?

If I was using the CZ I would certainly be changing the safety to the 3-pos type, and straightening and filling the bolt handle.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built mine on the CZ550 action, firstly due to it holding 4 down, not many actions can accomplish this comfortably.
Second is the stock design, it handles recoil very well and I like the feel of it.
Sure, the bolt needs addressing, does the safety and trigger, but they’re easy fixable.
I built mine off a 458WM rifle I bought cheap, then had the above work done to it.

Here’s.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I don't have any .416 Rigby.

But I have custom CZ550 in .375 H&H and rifle built on Montana PH action in .585 HE.

I like it both. PH action is great for .505 Gibbs style large cartridges, but I believe it is oversized for .375 or .416.

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure don't mean to knock a product, so I won't...just go with the CZ

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a pretty serious issue with one of the early MRC actions, but didn’t know if they had improved. Called and looking at minimum 6 months to get an action. Going to look at a CZ closer, or try to locate a Whitworth Express and do another.375.

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After recently surviving a debacle with MRC my vote is to start with a CZ.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rhys, I sent you a PM.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new CZ 550 Rigby action and an unturned 416 Lothar Walther blank sitting in the shop. If you'd like one immediately I could certainly be talked into selling them... I won't be building a rigby anytime soon.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt
If my lathe and mill were not sitting in storage since I moved I'd be interested.

Congomike I replied to your PM, possibly interested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had plans of milling away at the barrel and doing integral front sight base, integral sling swivel band, and whatever ramp at the rear I could make with the stock available...but plans change and I just don't seem to have the time I once did. More projects sitting around than I will EVER have time for at this point.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote