New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Touch-up
 Login/Join

<Crash>
posted
Does anyone know how to polish a minor scratch from a high gloss urethane finished stock? It is on the stock of a Berreta o/u I just bought. The wood is not damaged just the finish. Very minor.

Thanks, Crash

posted Hide Post
Crash, I have used wet sanding. 600,1000 grit, then Brownells stock finish, 5F, and a good car wax. The high gloss finishes are usually very thin, even though they look thick. I use a laquer to finish and it is only a few thousands thick, so be very careful or you may go through the finish.
Good luck.
Ed

Posts: 17 | Location: St. Louis, Mo. USA | Registered: 01 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crash, If it is just a small scratch and acceptable solution is to "fill" the scratch with multiple applications of gloss urethane or (if you are in a hurry) clear lacquer. Clean the scratch with some turpentine or paint thinner to remove any traces of oil or wax. Use a fine artists brush or a fountain pen nib dipped in the finish and apply to the scratch. Allow drying time and make enough applications to raise the level of finish in the scratch slightly above the adjacent finish. Use 600 grit to bring it down to the finish level. Then 1000 grit and finally polish till glossy.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote