New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing stock from silicon bedded actionl
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a pre 64 model 70 that appears to be bedded in silicon. Stuck! need to remove as trigger is 6.5 lbs and barrel is solid to the forearm. thank you for any ideas in advance.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Silicone maybe? You mean the rubber bathtub caulk stuff?
How to remove it? Heat? Freezing? I never ran into that problem; that stuff is impossible to remove. They do make caulk removers. I would heat it first.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Just tighten your bedding jack fairly tight and put it on the dash or seat of a vehicle in the sun with the windows rolled up for an hour. Then put another half or quarter turn on the jack and keep doing that every half hour or so until the barreled action is free from the stock. The glue goes like stiff taffy in the heat and the slow pressure will just suck it out. I've pulled lots of them where guys have forgotten release agent that way. Silicon should be no difference. It's mostly the steady, annoying pressure that causes the glue to give up. With most bedding compounds the action comes out covered with glue stalagmites and you just cut them from the stock with side cutters. Just like cutting warm candy.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a customer bring one of those in , a Mauser with black rtv silicone. I tried freezing , heat , pressure , no luck the stuff rtv was made for automotive use so it was a pia.
The way I removed it was a thin wire Unser the barrel , using a saw motion , eventually it cut to the receiver , I sliced using an exacto knife around the tang , at least the trigger guard wasn't silicones in .
Amazing , I spent more time trying to remove the old action than replacing the barrel . The cheap sob didn't want to pay me for my time . Needless to say , I told him to find another smith .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Make one of these fool things Gary. They pay for themselves the first bedding job in time saved and misplaced aggravation! There is something to be said for hundreds of pounds of carefully applied force. As opposed to rampant violence, swearing and bashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV60DDda7LU

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It needed trigger work anyway, so I took it to a pro Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn Sharing misery feels so good, doesn't it? LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I had everybody in the shop looking at my rifle with grate interest for once! Only problem was they were shaking their heads, not nodding. Fortunately, I love a project.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it is the black RTV silicone that I use for bedding windshields in jeeps with, then you ain't getting it out by any means short of cutting it off.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I made one of those Jacks. It works great.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote