THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester style safety for Mauser, cheap?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I've looked at several 3 position Model 70 Winchester style safeties for my 96 Mauser but I just cant justify the cost for this project. It is not a show gun at all just a utility piece that I have put together on the cheap, but I'd like to change to the Win style safety.
What is my cheapest option to do this?, 2 or 3 position I don't care.
Thanks guys you all are an abundance of information and opinions.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe on this board makes a two-position that is not real expensive. I have one being put on a Whitworth now -- will know more when it is done.

Edited: See Tiggertate's correction below -- I read '98 instead of '96. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Jim's normal 2 position is for a '98, not a '96. I asked Jim about the '96 and it can be done but is a bit higher than the $95 he charges for a '98. I prefer the 2 position over the 3 position and will send him mine when I get around to that project. I have 3 of his 2 position '98s and like them.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Jim's normal 2 position is for a '98, not a '96.

See, now that's what happens when I type faster than I read. Thanks for setting it straight.

I'm glad you like the 98's - looking forward to getting mine back.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
About Jim Kobe's two position safety, do they lock the bolt when the safety is "on" or do they merely prevent the striker from going forward? Are they easy to fit for someone who has reasonable experience hacking Mausers?

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote