New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Classic barrel changing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those who have attempted it, how successful have you been in achieving proper headspace when you have changed one classic barrel for another.

I am aware that the classic extractor cut must line up, thereby limiting where the barrel can go. When you get to that point, are these barrels generally within proper headspace.

(reason I ask is becasue I have a classic with a boss barrel that I would like to change out for a regular barrel. Have seen many classic barrels for sale that ended up with no bids on them. Thought it might be a worthwhile endeavor.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's about 50/50 if they will line up correctly.

The old Pre 64's were 99% the same, but not quite so with on the newer ones.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry

I wonder if that is a reflection of whether they are each custom fitted to their particular action, or whether manufacturing tolerances are not very good and they theirselves get lucky.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
For those who have attempted it, how successful have you been in achieving proper headspace when you have changed one classic barrel for another.

I am aware that the classic extractor cut must line up, thereby limiting where the barrel can go. When you get to that point, are these barrels generally within proper headspace.

(reason I ask is becasue I have a classic with a boss barrel that I would like to change out for a regular barrel. Have seen many classic barrels for sale that ended up with no bids on them. Thought it might be a worthwhile endeavor.)

Cut the BOSS off.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck

that leaves a 20 inch barrel. I want a bit more than that.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Good topic 22WRF
I have a similar problem, I have a .338 Win Mag that shoots tiny 5 shot groups.............with a BOSS and I hate that BOSS. I changed the recoil suppressor to the CRF sleeve and thought that would get me over it but I still can't stand the thing. I thought about cutting the BOSS off but am concerned that I may never get it to shoot so well, maybe a barrel change is in order. As far as your barrel length is concerned when you cut the BOSS off you are only shortening the rifled portion by about 1/2" or so from what it currently is. The BOSS hanging on the end just makes it look longer than what is actually useable barrel.
Something to think about.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee Snellstron, I should take the MINTY barrel off of my .338 Win Mag and sell it to you so that I can use that action for someting else.
(a .358 Norma Big Grin)

Anyway, on this .270 with the Boss, if I cut the boss off there will only be 20 inches of barrel left. I measured it.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gee Snellstron, I should take the MINTY barrel off of my .338 Win Mag and sell it to you so that I can use that action for someting else.
(a .358 Norma Big Grin)

Anyway, on this .270 with the Boss, if I cut the boss off there will only be 20 inches of barrel left. I measured it.

But as it sits you only have a 20.5" barrel plus the boss.

But I can understand not wanting a 20" .270, or a 20.5" for that matter.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I implied, because these actions are so popular for making custom rifles there must be hundreds, if not thousands, of take off barrels that are just sitting in the corner gathering dust.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the threads do not engage exactly in the same spot between barrel and receiver, then all bets are off. A miss of a couple of thousandths is enough to screw the pooch.

Don't buy a take off thinking it will index correctly. It may or may not. The best of a worst case scenario is it comes up short.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've made them fit, but it is a lot of work.. trial & error.

If it comes up "short" you can set the shoulder back a little bit to line it up. BUT then you run the chance of not being able to close the bolt, so then you must recut the cone.

That can also lead to having to cut the chamber deeper to correct head space.

Just lots of things to go wrong.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote