Find
Notify
Tools

Sedgley-pattern stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Is anyone offering a Sedgley-style stock these days? I found a Sedgley with excellent bore hiding in beater monte carlo wood with no less than Weaver mounts on it. It is crying to be put back to original Philadelphia configuration with a Lyman 48.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You just missed what appeared to be a nice looking original Sedgley stock that sold on Ebay for $140 last week. Wished I had bid on it now.

Otherwise don't know of anyone in less you want to order custom.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC (?), at one point in time GAG offered semi inlets in a Sedgley pattern. They're not around any more, but Henry sold all his machines, patterns, and tooling to Walnut Grove Gunstocks up in Idaho. might check with them.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henry dropped by my shop last month. He lives in Idaho now. Working as a consultant/semi-retired gentleman.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure of meeting Henry up at WGG last week. He is a very interesting gentleman, and it was a true pleasure to visit with.

I think Henry had patterns for about every bolt rifle ever sold.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have an e-mail in to Walnut Grove Gunstocks next door in Weiser, Idaho.
Now, about that crazy banded ramp front sight that Sedgley used ... Close, but no ceegar:
https://www.newenglandcustomgu...%20Hood#.VDq7-ufeoio

Big Grin

– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
By the way, all I can turn up in my library on Sedgleys is the chapter in Michael Petrov's book -- and other comments Michael made over the years on various forums.
Just as he described, my rifle's serial number, 1243, is stamped in the groove on the upper tang (the original having been scrubbed from the receiver ring, which was then finely matted to reduce glare) and a three-digit code, 156, is marked on the barrel, receiver and magazine/trigger guard. The rifle has the one-line address, and the circle S proof mark on the upper barrel shank near the receiver ring. The barrel has been cut from the classic 26 to the mundane 24 inches, leaving the letter code A -- and possibly S -- and a dimple at the muzzle that I believe was an anchor point for the rear edge of the banded ramp front sight.
It is at times like these when I realize just what a treasure we lost when Michael died last winter. Does anyone know if another passionate researcher has taken up Michael's reins?

– John Green, author