New
Find
Notify
Tools

I like 3-9 X scopes!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In my opinion, for most purposes the 3-9X variable power scopes are the best choice. I like the 9X setting for range work. At that setting, I can see the bullet holes in my targets out to 200 yards -- the longest distance available at the range where I shoot -- even from .22 caliber rifles, without using a spotting scope. Then, for hunting, the scope can be set at 3X or 4X. I agree that for heavy stopping rifles used at close distances a lower power scope, such as a 1X to 4X variable, may be better. But for general use, I think the 3-9X covers everything you will need. [Smile]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i agree. along with the 2.5x8 vx3. i was a firm believer in the 1.75x6 leupolds forever but i found myself this year walking around with it on three or 4 most of the time.
maybe it is age creeping up on me but no matter the cover i was in it seemed 3 offered a good compromise between locating deer in the field of view and getting a good look at the head gear without fiddling with the scope.
i am looking for a leupold in a 3-9 in compact matte.
adios
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that I can shoot better with less magnification, I have two 2.5x compact leupolds on two of my rifles and find them great, I have a 2-7x on another and find that pretty good as well. I do have a 3-9 on my 30/06 but I would be happier I think with a 2-7 on this rifle as well.

Each to there own, but I have found that I have been getting more bullets in the right spot with less magnification which goes against the grain of how I originally thought it should work.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3x9 is the most popular scope, and for good reason. 2.5x8, 2x7, 3x9, 3.5x10, are all good choices. I use 4x12's on my Varmit rifles.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LE270: Hard to argue with you there. Far too many less-experienced hunters are trying to use 4.5-14's and even 6-18's on their hunting rifles, believing that they are necessary for 300+ yard shots. The truth is, any whitetail-sized game you can't see clearly with a 9x (or 4x for that matter) is too far away to shoot at (as a matter of fact, it's no problem to shoot prairie dogs at 300+ yards with a 9X). The bulk of my hunting rifles carry 3-9's, and except when I am on a stand and know that a shot will be longer and more deliberate, I keep mine set on about 4-5X for walking about.

I've tried higher-power variables on some long range hunting rifles, but have always pulled them off and replaced them with a 3-9X. The problem is that the higher-power variables tend to have more critical eye relief and eye alignment, even at lower powers, making them slower to use (and they are heavier and bulkier, also).

As some posters have noted, the 2.5-8 or even 2-7 is just about as versatile, and are better on rifles intended for large game or closer shooting.

I'll save the 14 and 18 power variables for my varmint rigs (and often turn the power down a bit for less apparent mirage and quicker target acquisition).

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote