THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Group therapy needed... Sako Finnlight vs. Sako Hunter

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Group therapy needed... Sako Finnlight vs. Sako Hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I need some group therapy here...

First let me tell you where I'm coming from. I'm looking for a "calling rifle" of basically the exact purpose, style, weight, and dimensions of Darrel Holland's proprietary "calling rifle":

Darrel Holland's "Calling Rifle"

http://www.hollandguns.com/crifles.shtml

It will be used for short to long range "yodel dogs".

So here's the questions...

1. Considering the parameters set above, what choice would you make if choosing between the Sako Hunter 75 and the Finnlight? (I can pick either one up for just under $1,000)

2. Would one seem to be more inherently accurate than the other (first shot only)?

3, Besides the stock, barrel length, and fluting, are there any other differences?

4. Is the bedding the same with each?

I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions at once. I really appreciate any help you can give me. [Big Grin]

Thanks,

Kenati

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
One more thing...

I've narrowed it down to a Sako because I'm maxxed out at about $1,000 total for this project, and figured these rifles offer the biggest bang for the buck.

Darrel Holland told me that if I would supply a Remington 700 action, he could build a really nice no-frills rifle for about $1,600 to $1,700... (so about $2000 total). I've seen his work and he makes a beautiful rig, but... That's a lot more money than I'm willing to spend on a coyote rig.

Thanks again!

Kenati

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a CZ527 in .223 that is getting a new 6mm barrel from Lothar Walther.

It's going to be a 6mm Cheapshot. that's a .223 opened up to 6mm. Quiet, compact, and very effective out to 250yds.

That's what my "walking varminter" is going to be.

Mike

<DLS>
posted
Soundman,

That cheapshot is really a neat rifle. Mine really likes the Nos 55 BT's and Sierra 60 HP's.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Sounds like a sweet little rig. Good luck with it. I heard the Lothar Walther barrels are shooting very well. What contour did you decide on?

If I had an extra action lying around I might do a custom job myself. That would still max out my project at about $1,000:
-- $450 Pac-nor barrel w/ action truing
-- $450 for a pillar bedded McMillan
-- $65 trigger job
-- ... and that's about it.

Hmmmm...

one of us
posted Hide Post
...I tend to agree with the folks who have suggested a semi-custom job "on the cheap". It might be done for 1K or slightly over.

Alternatively, consider a Cooper. Since you are looking for a "walk around" varminter, the Classic might be an option in your price range.

For a decent (?) price on Coopers, check out Whittaker Guns - he also has a pretty good stock of Coopers, or alternatively has a bunch on order. Maybe one would fit you... What caliber are you looking for?? How about a 6mm BR??

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Kenati, although I am a hardcore Sako fan (ealier models), take a look at the Kimber 84 Montana. You can get one for about $950. It comes with a 22 inch stainless barreled action, kevlar stock and weighs a little over 5 lbs. I have a standard 84M in 7-08 and love it. Kimbers come with all the essential custom options from the factory, i.e., pillar and epoxy bedded, CRF, proprietary kevlar stock, etc.

[ 12-03-2003, 09:28: Message edited by: Dr. Lou ]

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

I can literally hear the ice and sleet outside the window from the first snowfall of the year... my trigger finger is getting itchy!! I sold the AR-15 and now I need new a coyote rifle soon... the pressure is really on.

Just when you think ya "got it all figured out", huh?

Time to research the the Kimber 84M. Guess I'll search old threads before I ask any questions.

Thanks again!

Kenati