New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 varmit in 220 swift
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I have a question for those more in the know than I. I just purchased a minty Ruger 77 varmit in 220 swift, and I have a problem. It did not have the factory rings and it will shoot very low like 5 feet low at 100yds. I, thinking I am so smart, switched the rings frount and back thinking that if it shot low, it would now shoot that much high. It did not, still way low. Then I switched scopes to a known reliable scope. Same thing. Do I need to start out with a new set of rings, or should this gun be sent to Ruger for evaluation? Is there a hard and fast frount and rear for the Ruger 77 guns? Is the heavy barrel guns in need of a certain set of rings that are just for them? Any help or advice would be great. This is a like new old tang safty gun, I would like it to be a fun to shoot gun also. Thanks Elliot

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have a set of rings for the No1. These rings are the same height. The 77 rings are different with the taller ring going on the rear. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3582 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right - Ruger rings on Mod 77 are different heigth front and rear - if you were able to switch the rings without damaging the scope on a 77 you are lucky - get the Ruger rings from Ruger or I think Leupold and/or Burris make rings that fit the 77.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, this is the first 77 for me. I have two #1's and thought the rings would be different. I hope this is all it takes, no dammage to scopes that I can notice, but will put them on known gun to see if any dammage happened. Again, thanks for the info.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote