New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifles/shotgun stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When using pure linseed oil to oil finish a stock which is better raw or boiled ? Raw is lighter and thinner while boiled is darker and thicker.

I know you build up with tiny layers of oil, any one got any good tips or advice ?

Also how long between coats ?

regards Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Linseed oil has no place near a gunstock. Almost anything makes a better finish. Raw linseed never dries, do not use it. Boiled linseed sort of dries, read that as gets gummy, in weeks to months. Tips?, forget linseed oil!! Linseed is the second worst thing to rub in your gunstock, right behind motor oil, and I once saw a stock treated with used motor oil, really, not a joke. Coal black and smelly.

Read up on the other thread about sealing stocks, there is lots of info and debate there.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Englander - if you must use linseed oil use the boiled version. Boiled means they added drying agents to it to speed up the process. Linseed oil never really dries. There are many other products available today that are better for gunstock finishes. 100 years ago linseed oil was all they had. Not so today. A good marine varnish will finish a stock nicely if applied properly. Linseed oil will darken the stock as it ages also. This can obscure the grain and beauty of the wood.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Englander---

I agree with the others.....NO linseed oil is the best for gunstocks.