New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charter Arms junk !!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought a NEW Charter arms 44 special "target revolver" with out doing my usual research. I got it for concealed carry and knew it was not a target gun but the quality, craftmanship and materials realy is disapointing. First discovery of the roughness of the chambers came about after trying to extract CCI factory load Blazer casses. After whacking on the ejector rod several times the whole cylinder came out of the swing arm. The only thing holding it in place is a small spring ring in a groove and a little persuasion boots it right out. Next after removing the rubber grips I find the entire grip FRAME is imitation stainless PLASTIC ?? I was headed for the trigger to try to hone some of the dragging anchor roughness out of it and discovered it is press pinned together and you can not get to the trigger department. The bore / lands has plow marks like an old breaking plow was drug down it. I am VERY disapointed with it. It is nothing like my OLD charter stainless 38 snubbie!

Posts: 68 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the paper work on this 44 and it is a Charter 2000. Got a safe full of Smiths and Rugers --don't know what put the bug in me to buy a Charter. Think I loose it at the next gun show !!

Posts: 68 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did it come with a Fortune Cookie?

Posts: 298 | Location: Antioch | Registered: 09 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gads.. years ago I was psyched on Charter Arms coming back into business.

They never made a top of the line revolver, but dammit if they weren't reliable and solidly designed.

Maybe this is an anomaly? Anyone else have experience with the NEW Charter Arms stuff?

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
As a cop of 25 years and counting, it's always been my opinion, and many others, that only the bad guys have them. The good guys carry Colts, Smiths, Glocks, Sigs, etc.

Owning a Charter Arms is like doing an ugly/fat chick or riding a moped. You do it but you don't tell anyone about it. Big Grin Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dr. lou,

as a retired cop from a major NY metropolitan pd with 30yrs, you would be surprised at the premium hardware that these skells carry. Sigs, S&W, Ruger,Browning, Glock etc. nothing but the best.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's better to go home with the ugly fat chick than have the Daily News rolled up under your arm!
Be safe ,Be careful.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Blazer aluminum case often isn't the easiest stuff to get out of a chamber. Have you tried any regular brass cased ammo?

The original Charter Arms, although not a top of the line revolver, weren't all that bad a handgun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Charter Arms Undercover that my Dad used to carry back in the late 70's. He bought it new and it's not a bad gun at all.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no comment on that firearm, but will say I buy no aluminum cased ammo any more. always a PITA.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote