New
Find
Notify
Tools

221 Fireball to 22 Waldog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an idea about converting a Remington model 700 ADL in 221 fireball to 22 Waldog. The overall length of the fireball is 1.4" with the same base diameter of the 222/223 at 0.3773". The Waldog is a 22 PPC shortened -0.125". The version of the waldog I would want is -0.100". The base diameter of the PPC/waldog is 0.446". I do not currently have a Rifle in 221 Fireball or 22 Waldog, but I have thought a rifle in 22 Waldog would be cool. A Bench rest shooting friend of mine (I am not a BR shooter, just a Coyote smoker) has shot the 22 Waldog -0.100" off and on in BR matches for many years. He says that in calm to no breeze, the Waldogs are about as accurate as you can get. I already hunt with a really super accurate 222 Rem. The 22 Waldog closely approximates the 222's case capacity, but in a supposedly more efficient case. I am saving my money for a fully custom big game rifle for now, but I would like to possibly do a waldog sporter at some point. I just want to know if the 221 to Waldog idea will work. Some Remington followers seem to be able to feed a wide variety of case sizes. Does anyone know if this one would work?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can use the .473 boltface ( 22-250, 308, 243 etc.) to pull PPC size brass. If you use a .223 bolt face you will have to open it up and install a new extractor. The .100" short 22PPC is a very accurate round. I don't know if I would go through all of the work invlved in making the brass for a varmint rifle. The standard 22 PPC is an excellent Varmint round and the 22 BR may even be better. They both are easier to make brass for and I doubt if the coyotes can tell the difference in accuracy between the two.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that I'll have to open up the bolt. I doubt if I will get any better accuracy than I get with my 222 sporter, as it can shoot in the 2's all day when the wind is calm. That's with 50gr Ballistic tips loaded with Wilson dies. I just thought it would be fun, as I like tinkerin', accurizing and such. I suppose if I were trying to think practically I would be shooting a 223. However, 222 velocities suit me just fine. On real windy days a 22-250 or 6mm would be nice. My original post is about whether or not a 22 Waldog will feed from a Reminton 700 in 221 Fireball. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt

I think the only way you will know for sure is to make 4 or 5 cases and try them in your action. That will be a lot better than someone else telling you they will work, then make 1000 cases and find out they don't. I have to agree with Eddie though. Making WalDog brass is a lot of work and is only worth the trouble if you are shooting benchrest and only need 15 or 20. After you make 4 or 5 to test your action feeding I think you might change your mind. JMHO

PS I'll tell you what. i still have a few WalDog cases left over from when I shot it. Send me your address and I'll send them to you.

joyray@frontiernet.net

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote