New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel bands on #1V dilemna
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a custom stocked Ruger #1V some years back in the V (varmint) configuration in 7MM Mag. Gorgeous figure in stock, fleur de lis checkering and a slim schnabel forend. It's a real tack driver (sub 1"), but it has a sling swivel stud in the forend. Always thought the barrel band a la the 1S or 1A would be preferable.
To do it now would entail filling the hole in the forend with something. Worry [Confused] about accuracy problems developing when using the sling on the forend stud. Is this a worthwhile modification at this point. Advantages? Disadvantages? This came up since I'll be using it as primary plains game gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you'd find that using the shooting sling from a barrel band swivel will affect the accuracy a lot more than a forend mounted swivel. Or, are you referring to just the weight of an unutilized sling hanging off the barrel? When used as a shooting aid the sling would put a lot of tension on the barrel and is very likely to affect accuracy (point of impact in particular).

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stocker,

Thanks for the reply. I was not so concerned with the weight of the unutilized sling as the tension on the forend while carrying the gun over the shoulder or using the sling as a shooting aid. Is it your opinion that I should leave well enough alone if that is the case?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stocker,

Sorry about the scrambled English on last post. I left out part of my point with regard to tension. I fear that tension on the forend will affect accuracy. As I understand it you believe the opposite is true and I am grateful for your opinion. Thanks again.