Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic stocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I´m looking at building an "all weather gun" in cal .375 Ruger. I need this to be a budget project ie not a cheapo but nothing exclusive either. I´ll be using ab M98 action. As I´m normally a walnut fan I know nil about synthetic stocks -anyone have any recommendations?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cewe:

I built a .458WM using a VZ-24 action and after much thought went with a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. I ordered the one with the full length aluminum bedding. I could not be more pleased. I ordered the tan stock with black webbing.

I wanted one with out the front end sling stud as I planned on a barrel band. Bell and Carlson was very helpful and said I could order it through the special order department at Cabelas for less money than buying directly from them.

It has handled the recoil well, I did bed it and added a barrel mounted recoil lug. Fit was very good and about the only thing I had to do was open up the barrel channel in the fore arm to accomadate the contour of a .458 barrel.

I am sure there are others, Mcmillan, HS Precision, Borden Rimrock, etc. that make excellent stocks, but for the money, around $220.00 in 2005, I am very pleased.

Check out www.bellandcarlson.com I don't know about shipping to Finland, but look at the retailers and distributors listed on their homepage and see if they can do business with you.

Good Luck.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
I ordered the one with the full length aluminum bedding. I did bed it and added a barrel mounted recoil lug.
RCG

I'm a bit hazy on bedding either don't do it or get it done for me. So why if you had "full length aluminium bedding, do it again. ??

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Butler Creek stock for the Mauser. It's reasonably light weight and the two I have have held up just fine. I did glass bed the recoil lug and used a foam product that dries as a light weight solid to fill the hollow of the buttstock and the forearm.
I have them on two FN Mausers, one a .270 and the other a 30-06.
I'll be buying another one to use on the .35 Whelen I'm building. I do put Pachmeyr Decelerator pads on them.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Looks like I´ll be going with wood, found a great stock that I´d like to get a copy of Wink

Thanks for the feedback, cewe

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote