Find
Notify
Tools

build a rifle looking for a Smith
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I want to build a Hunting rifle for the fall season.Accuracy is my main goal.I was thinking of a M700 action blue printed with Shilen select SS barrel and a H-S Precision Stock in 338-06. Who would you recomend to do the work.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob1, I know this may be off the mark a bit, but HS makes an excellent barrel--better than a Shilen in my opinion--and their proprietary action is basically a really well done remington type action. I have purchased 3 HS rifles, 2 I gave as gifts, and they have all been excellent in quality as well as accuracy. In fact, accuracy was superb. I submit all that to say I think you can achieve what you suggested in purchasing one of HS 's rifles, I feel that the action is definitely a notch above any M700, and you will have a one stop shop so to speak. One of the fellows I gave one of these rifles to, in 270 WSM, was amazed at how well it fed--he had feeding problems with some factory rifles in that caliber--and was just thrilled with the trigger, which I had HS set at 2.5 lbs. at the factory.

They even offer a DBM option if that suits your fancy, one of my pardners really liked his with that option, I think it is OK, but not the greatest DBM system out there for sure.

Having said that, I know that DJ Paintless lives out there in OK somewhere, and surely he would know of a good smith in the area--if he catches this thread, maybe he can steer you to one.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Fish, I think I can get what I'm looking for without the $2400 price tag of a H-S Rifle.Thanks for responding

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second your choice on the Shilen. I would use Mike Bryant www.bryantcustom.com in Wheeler, Texas or David Christman at 1-318-878-1395 in Northern Louisiana. Mike is a BR gunsmith that builds a lot of hunting rifles. David chambers the same way as the better BR gunsmiths and is a member of the Guild. They are both reasonable and have good turnaround time.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yikes, big price hike since I bought--I'm sure your right, I'd think you could beat 2400 by a G or more. Guess I should keep more in touch with the current prices on some of the things I bought a few years back.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to mention that David and Mike aren't the only good smiths for what you want, but they are relatively close and a pleasure to deal with.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote