New
Find
Notify
Tools

788 extractor question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello All. A question for the Rem 788 gurus. Is the extractor supposed to be riveted in place? If so, then the one I'm looking at is broken because it slides side to side in the recess. The movement is "only" about an 1/8 of an inch.
Where can I send it for repair? Thanks for any help. Bshooter

Posts: 65 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about some of them,but the ones i had(222) were rivited,if the rivit is missing you should be able to see where it was ground flush on the outside of the bolt

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The model 788 used the same exact extractors as the riveted model 700.
Brownells has replacement extractors and they come with two new rivets.

Why anyone needs two rivets is lost on me, I have a 1/4 bag of spare rivets thumb tacked to the wall by my work bench, from the old days. A couple of weeks ago I thought I had another used for them but just about .015" too small in diameter.

Any older gunsmith worth his salt can replace the riveted type, the hard part is removing the broken riveted section and not screwing up the bolt head. A special anvil is used to support the extractor, and rivet while peening the rivet in place.

J Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I have in the past needed the second rivet; they're damned hard to find on my shop floor.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANKS FOR THE INFO! Upon looking under glass, I noticed the rivet and the break. Now I need to find a good smith. Thanks again. Much appreciated. bshooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANK MIKE!! This is for a friend of a friend so I'll pass it on. Much appreciated. Take Care....B