New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lothar Walther Barrel Cost
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can't find this info despite checkin the net.
I need a typical cost that anyone buying just a barrel would pay for a Lother Walther barrel, stainless, standard sporter contour, 24 inch, .300 WM.
Alternatively, also cost of the same barrel but with approx 100 rounds fired.
I have one on offer I am interested in but the seller wants to give it to me. I would rather pay a fair price.
Thanks for any info.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About $350.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a price list I believe is still current. Send me an email and I will forward it to you. Email is in my profile.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to a helpful AR member I received the required info.
Thankyou gents for your help.
Cheers.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worlds best barrels.. old Brownells has some LW barrels at a very decent price...but price depends on what your looking for as to how finished you want one..Mine chambered with barrel turned run $350 to $400..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
About $350.

That price doesn't include the aggravation factor of dealing directly with Germany -- which was what I had to do to get a barrel for my .404 Jeff.

They refused to give me a FedEx tracking number -- said it was too expensive to provide.

The barrel was excellent and chambered like a knife through butter. Just wouldn't want to do this on a regular basis.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Douglas Barrels are the best barrels in the world. And the nicest and most responsive personnel to talk to. Call Stan and he will help you get the barrel you want, made. They have very responsive production capability.
I thought that lw barrels were made in Georgia, US. Just because of the name doesn't make them great.
No reason for me to use them; while they might shoot as well as Douglas, too much hassle and not easy or nice to deal with.
As is widely known.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LW barrels are the best in the world; according to their own brochure. When I mentioned to them that one I had was crooked, the reply was that that just couldn't be since they inspected them all. Tool marks? Ditto. A legend in their own corporate mind. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the best barrels in the world you never, ever see them show,up as winners in the accuracy games........

Probably just too good, for the accuracy shooters.....

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
real popular in Idaho, Ive used them for years, and I agree with the brochure they are the best barrels in the world and Ive used them all, but thats what makes a horse race..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No one here uses them for good reasons. I guarantee if you ever got a Douglas barrel that you thought was not straight, or had tool marks (you won't) (I never have and have been using them since 1970) Stan would make it right.
Just no reason to deal with a company like lw when they offer nothing of value. I have use most every barrel make out there; call me and I will tell you about each one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used many of them and they are great barrels and they are dead on all specification. You're hearing fake news here from someone that doesn't like them.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Even if they were perfect, the facts speak for themselves on how the company PR is run. That is not fake. Real.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Even if they were perfect, the facts speak for themselves on how the company PR is run. That is not fake. Real.

Did you ever get to deal with the ferret guy? He was a piece of work!

Stan posts a lot on Accurate Shooter, seems like a great fella!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Stan is a great guy and will do anything to help. (Stan is the Douglas sales manager, but he knows every aspect of the operation)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
LW barrels are the best in the world; according to their own brochure. When I mentioned to them that one I had was crooked, the reply was that that just couldn't be since they inspected them all. Tool marks? Ditto. A legend in their own corporate mind. Regards, Bill

I say you must be describing brand X...Never had one iota of issue with LW. And never saw a tool mark that I didn;t put there myself.

They all have shot extremely well and mostly "Lights out" (Client's words, not mine)

Bent? SHit! some shipping companies do that for the hell of it.

The oldest barrelmaker in the world must know SOMETHING about making barrels!

I'm not suggesting that other barrel makes are crap... I just go with my experience of total satisfaction.

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have one, not worth the aggravation of getting it. If I'm going to spend the money of a Walther, I'll get a Lilja.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:

I say you must be describing brand X...Never had one iota of issue with LW. And never saw a tool mark that I didn;t put there myself.

They all have shot extremely well and mostly "Lights out" (Client's words, not mine)

Bent? SHit! some shipping companies do that for the hell of it.

The oldest barrelmaker in the world must know SOMETHING about making barrels!

I'm not suggesting that other barrel makes are crap... I just go with my experience of total satisfaction.

The barrel was not bent, it was crooked. The bore was crooked enough that set-up for chambering was problematic. I used a half dozen LW barrels and none were exceptionally straight. One 7mm barrel had reamer marks which were ironed into the bore. This particular barrel was a fouler until it was lapped. By the way, the real crooked one (stainless) shot very well. All were acceptable but not really exceptional.
A friend had a Douglas barrel which also had reamer marks and fouled. He called Douglas and, rather than deny the existence of the marks and try to blow smoke like LW, Douglas sent him a new barrel.
For a hunting rifle, if I had a bin filled with barrels from Douglas, LW, Shilen, McGowen, Shaw, or a host of others, I wouldn't much care which one I pulled out. I've used them all and had satisfactory results with all. I only commented on the LW brochure because it seems so at odds with reality. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
I had two Douglas barrels.At first I thought they were shit and the other brands I used were better.I now believe that the opposite is true.I got turned off of LW since I last rebarreled my 22lr-the original CZ barrel was more accurate or just as accurate.I have not tried them all.Of the ones I owned and checked their bores with a borescope, the Douglas had the best bore.I have a Lilja and Benchmark on order-never tried those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There you go...I would not buy a pair of pliers made by General Motors, based on experience(s)...But, I admit not everybody agrees with that

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've worn out three Douglas barrels, a Krieger and an Obermyer 5R made back when Boots was still making them. All on high power match rifles. My first rifle I used a Douglas barrel. Started off shooting expert class and moved to Master class. By then the Douglas was worn out. Figured to compete in Master class I needed a better barrel...."upgraded" to a Krieger hand cut/lapped barrel. It shot about the same as my old Douglas barrel--which was very good! The Krieger didn't foul as quickly or as much which is what you would expect from a hand lapped barrel. But you still had to clean it the same as the Douglas after every match. Accuracy wise? My opinion...no return on the $200 price differential. When that barrel no longer held the 10 ring at 600 yards I got a smoking hot deal on a Obermyer from a gunsmith who's client changed his mind on a caliber for the project before he ever cut a chamber. So I got it for less than a Douglas. But about the same as the Krieger. It shot fine...no practical difference between the three brands in terms of accuracy but the Obermyer fouled less than the Douglass...which was simply an observation and had no practical affect on anything since the bore got cleaned every 100 rounds or so anyhow and I never saw any evidence that the fouling differential had any affect at all on accuracy. When that barrel went south I was still shooting at master class level and I chose to go back to Douglas and guess what...I had no trouble beating my previous scores and...when that barrel wore out I replaced it with another Douglas... The difference in price between the various barrels was significant but there was no correlation with performance... Just my opinion...and what others here has communicated is my experience as well. They are a great company to deal with!

Now I will tell you that I'm not a guy that will burn through 5 pounds of powder and work through 20 loads and 6 different powders before I squeeze the last 1/10th of an inch out of my gun. If you like to tinker to that degree you may find there is a difference. I settled on a good load that could throw 10 shots into a nice round group the size of a baseball at 300 yards and as long as it could do that all day long I was good. When the barrel no longer reliably could hold the 10 ring at 600 yards (around 2 MOA) on a called shot the barrel was toast. In most cases with a .308 WInchester that happened around 4900-5200 shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Woody was the main point of contact at LW, I stayed far away from them. Now, John McBrayer is the one answering calls and emails and he has really turned my opinion of LW around over the past 2 years. Custom contours for no extra charge and short delivery times. Performance of their barrels has been outstanding for me.

Also had great experiences with Douglas too, except Stan won’t do a #2 contour in .358. In the barrels I had, the Douglas was a little harder to clean up at first, but not terrible. Accuracy was on par with everything else I have. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 665 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never had a problem with Woody, but I know a lot of folks apparantly did, but even at that LW have been the best barrels and locally a favorite for years..Ive never had one that didn't shoot under an inch, that suits the heck out of me...and I like Lilja, Douglas, and others, but Ive had my best luck with LW, just like all the locals in and around Idaho..They talked me into them, so I spread the word.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by +Templar+:
When Woody was the main point of contact at LW, I stayed far away from them. Now, John McBrayer is the one answering calls and emails and he has really turned my opinion of LW around over the past 2 years. Custom contours for no extra charge and short delivery times. Performance of their barrels has been outstanding for me.

Also had great experiences with Douglas too, except Stan won’t do a #2 contour in .358. In the barrels I had, the Douglas was a little harder to clean up at first, but not terrible. Accuracy was on par with everything else I have. No complaints.

I've only had one interaction with LW and it was an excellent transaction with John and absolutely no complaints with the 9.3x62 Mauser 98 prefit he sent.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woody was a real piece of work. We've had several conversations. He ran off a lot of clients. I think along the lines of DPCD, Bill Leeper,KY Nimrod, and Templar.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote