New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blatant patronization.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I sent the only rifle I will never let go of down to Eagle Machine in Corrales, NM, to John Farner, AKA Toomany Tools. He jewelled the bolt, fluted the barrel, and threw on a deep blueing for me. It is perfect, his work is 1st class, he's too cheap, and I am thrilled with it. I wasn't sure what would be coming back to me, as I gave him license to do what he thought to dress it up. I hate to put it back on the old stock now. Thanks a billion, John. (A million ain't what it used to be)

Posts: 16105 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
John, where do you find these people? Why can't none of my customers be appreciative??? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Malm, I'd tell you but it's a trade secret. Cool

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wymple, Why don't you send it back for a new stock? John's pretty good at that too.

Posts: 50 | Location: Corrales, NM | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a target stock picked out, but am unfamiliar with this venue. My rifle has a bull bbl, and the stock may need some fitting for that reason. I'm not yet getting "we're positive" answers from the manufacturer. It takes as much as 16 weeks to get this stock, and am ready to send a picture to John, to see what he could do himself, or about altering a purchase not fit to a bull bbl. 16 weeks is a long time to me, tho it may be normal in the business.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Just an idea, bu your rifle action is very similar in shape to a Remington. Have you checked to see if it could be fitted into a stock rough inletted for one?

John Farner

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, I know zilch about this. I am under the impression that the design, while made in Connecticutt by Mossberg, is a Howa 1500, and similar or same as the Weatherby Vangaurd of the day, back in 73 or 74. The stock I'm looking at is a laminated target stock from Richard's Microfit Stocks, it is shown on their target stock page on a 10-22 Ruger action. It is not expensive, and they claim to have the mold to make one for my gun, but maybe 16 weeks and no mention of the fact that I have a bull bbl. I could get that and have you make it fit, or any other alternative that gives me something very similar. I love that pistol grip thumbhole setup for this rifle.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. Fitting the barrel will be no problem. It's too bad you have to wait but I bet it'll be worth it.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mossberg brought this gun out to sell thru chain stores, Montgomery Ward , I believe. Wards backed out on the whole thing but Mossberg liked it so well they made them anyway. I keep hearing they are only worth a couple or three hundred, but everyone I've ever found for sale was 8-12 hundred. Bull barrels are rare. They had a letter after the Model 800, each letter designating a caliber. Mine is an 800C, for 22-250. It is easily the most accurate rifle I own, way beyond my capability as a shooter. On a Hyskore shooting rest with a liquid trigger, it pretty much puts a hole in a hole, until the barrel warms and spreads it a touch. It is the only thing I own that belonged to my life long buddy and is special to me. Then I decided to make it special on down the line. Fluting that bull barrel and jewelling the bolt with new blueing made it a whole different animal. But the stock is just common, low grade walnut. I want it hung on a laminated, pistol grip thumbhole stock. Then I will have the piece I want. It is definately one of a kind. I'm looking for a stock that doesn't require such a long wait. I will be happy to send it to John for a good fitting.