Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmithing tip of the day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
coffee
Since I know everybody that works on guns has a dremel tool Roll Eyes I have the latest tip. Well at least new to me.
Do you keep breaking those pesky cutoff wheels when shortening a barrel Wink? Well saturate them with superglue and they will not break as easily. Tried it today on a piece of 1/4 inch square stock and it worked slick.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the carbide cutters that cost $25 at our local Ace Hardware? They are hanging there with all the other less expensive Dremel attachments. I need one but not for $25.

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I am talking about the composite abrasive cutoff wheels that mount on a mandrel.
If you need carbide cutters you might try www.use-enco.com

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I had never heard this one before, but sure will try it out! Thanks for passing it on.

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dremel - Ruining fine firearms for over 40 years!

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waksupi:
Dremel - Ruining fine firearms for over 40 years!

It's usually the drivers fault.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
waksupi...love your comment...but on the other hand, I have one always plugged in..really works well with a carbide cutter to inlet bolt handles and use it quite a bit for action rail/feed ramps...but having "confessed " to that..you're right, "overmechanization" can be counter productive

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what is in Superglue but I would bet it is not good stuff to breath. I would also bet dried superglue on a highspeed wheel would produce small airbore particles that could be easily breathed in. Someone with more chemistry could advise us.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Yeah, I'll advise you---stop worrying about 3 drops of something on a 2 gram wheel that wears down maybe 1/4" before you chuck it in the trash. Just wear yer safety glasses, for flying chunks of broken wheel.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Whereas I use both a Dremel tool and Super glue. The Dremel Tool for odd cleaning jobs and occasional bolt handle work and I use the Super Glue to close my finger after using the Dremel tool with the cut off disc. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My lathe and indexable carbide cut-off tool for me to cut of anything round and square...as for the dremel trash it for a 1/8" 60,000 rpm pencil grinder far better tool.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is the good kind of Dremel cut off wheel, and it costs money.

This is the bad kind of Dremel cut off wheel, and it is cheap.

One week end 12 years ago someone was in my shop building a FAL rifle when the parts kit had one half of a receiver stub still on the barrel.

Some carpenters had left their tools there over the week end.

The guy building the FAL borrowed a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel from the carpenter's tool box and cut the receiver off along the lines of the interrupted thread, so there was not a mark on the barrel.

I was impressed and bought a 1/8" Dremel set up, and it has been handy in gunsmithing.

But my brother, who is a machinist and builds guns, does not use one. He uses a 1/4" die grinder.

A guy who made jewelry told me that he never uses a Dremel, he uses a 1/4" Foredom hanging rotary tool with flex shaft.

I now have a 1/4" die grinder, and it is much better than a Dremel for big stuff, but I still use the Dremel, because I am used to it.

For making tiny radio frequency modules, put a Dremel flex shaft in a V block on the tool holder of the lathe. The tiny cuts can be made up inside the work with almost no tool force.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote