New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seems impossible but its true
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend who has a quality revolver that is in excellent condition and it DOUBLES! Yes you read it right, it doubles. Can anyone figure this anomaly out. One thought is that it has a weak firing pin spring and blows the hammer back.Don't know the exact model or brand but I think it is a Smith and Wesson.

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unless it is the Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver, I think you have already figured it out. Tell him to tighten the mainspring screw.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are the primers pierced..

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smith & Wesson had problems with that occuring on some of their big caliber revolvers. The .500 especially. It's been called an un-intended 'double tap' or 'bump-firing'.

Here's a video that shows one.

S&W got quite a few complaints about the 'problem' especially when the .500 hit the market.

Second video on the link is S&W's R&D to show that the revolver mechanism works as designed and the doubling isn't their problem.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/.../500-sw-double-taps/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Revolver doubling is usually caused with a hard kicking magnum.
The shooter is not gripping the revolver hard enough, at the first shot, the shooters trigger finger relaxes, allowing the trigger to move foward. As a reaction to the recoil the shooter tightens up his grip, hard, and also pushes the revolver away from his face/head, causing his trigger finger to tighten up also, as in making a fist, and it pulls the trigger a second time.

The solution is to have a hard grip on the revolver before you pull the trigger, and not to relax your grip until after the recoil.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote