New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Ribs on Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen pictures, and have handled, German mausers with ribbed barrels, some half- round half- octagon, some round with the rib making them ovate in contour; I like'em, and my question is how would I go about getting barrel made up like that? Are ribs available to be installed on round barrels, or must the rib be machined in when the barrel blank is contoured?

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I believe Brownell's sells 1/4 ribs, and perhaps NECG. These attach to the barrel.

A barrel with an integral rib can be costly (up to 3K, according to one guy), according to folks who have priced them out.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yup, lots of dough. Another poster said that Martini & Hagn will sell a 1/2 round 1/2 octagonal full-ribbed barrel for $2200 last year.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quarter ribs do not have to be machined integrally with the barrel contour-they can be added after the fact. But you can't buy "bolt-on" ribs that fit your barrel. Brownells does sell what Dakota puts on their rifles w/ ribs, but it easier to start with a piece of steel fit it to your barrel. plus it will look better to most folks than would the Dakota rib.

Prices for added quarter ribs start at $500 and quickly go up. Then you have to add the cost of the sights.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and as far as how to go about getting a rib, contact a good metalsmith, pay a deposit, and get on his waiting list. Everyone has their own style, so look at some pics from various metalsmiths and go with th eone you like the best.

lots of good metal smiths here:

good metalsmith link

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you can find one to buy lots cheaper than you can have one made, what caliber are you looking for?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther sells an octagaonal barrel with a full rib and integral sight base. Again not cheap as the others have pointed out. They start at $850.

Barrel

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee: Caliber is less important than barrel design and aesthetics. I don't mind reloading for a new cartridge...

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Take a look at Ruger's RSM rifles and you will see a rib which is not an add on, but actually part of the barrel itself. One of the fine points in the favor of the Ruger RSM's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ore45-

The rifles that sometiems come with 1/2 octagon 1/2 round full length ribbe dbarrels are pre-WWII Teutonic sporters. It has gotten hard to get one for less that $1500, and rifles at that price will usually ahve issues. Expext $2k+ for nice examples. Of course you can always get lucky, but those prices are good guidelines.

If oyu are determined to have a rib, haveing soem one fit a quarter rib to a rifle you already own is the cheapest way. Say $500 for the rib $75 for a rear sight, then rebluing costs