New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel relining
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a recommendation on barrel relining and chambering. I have 2 rolling blocks that need this.
Thanks

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Buy a liner and drill from Brownells and have at em Butch. You have more than enough machine to do it. I solder them in but most kids today glue them. If you solder them, clamp the barrel and liner over the BBQ and put a bronze brush on an old cleaning rod. Run acid or rosin flux through the drilled out bore with the bronze brush and then use the same brush to tin the inside. Scrub the tin into it really good with the brush. Then tin the liner and slide the two together. Feed more tin into the gap between the two at the chamber and muzzle end until it will take no more. Let it cool, trim the ends and chamber and crown in the usual fashion.

Yeah, I know that you would rather pay someone to do it !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Definitely glue it in; WAY less drama. I would do it but I don't have the chamber reamer.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
There's a company in NC that sells liners in many bores and twist rates, way beyond the few available from Brownells. What caliber are you looking for? The liners have ODs that don't match the piloted drills from Brownells so drilling is a bit more complicated but if anyone has a source for custom piloted drills I'd like to know. And, glue is the wat to go.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I looked at the piloted drill, liner, and a reamer. I think it is better to have a good smith that does this all the time. This is a one time deal for me.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

John Taylor is your man if you can get on his schedule. Don't know if you've asked him yet. He does some of the best relines I've ever seen.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is hard to get in touch with and is way out time wise. Looks like Redman has a slot for me.
John Taylor has a good following though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Redman's liners and have nothing but good to say about them. I think you'll like them.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote