New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bead blasting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a .375H&H Win M70 Classic SS. The last 1" has some rust/pitting that wasn't there when I bought it second hand 2 years ago. It had come down from Alaska I'm told, so that may explain it. Would you recommend having the barrel bead blasted or is there some other non invasive process I could do or have done? Thanks, ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a war wound to me....OOOO steel wool and some oil will clean it up just fine...now all you need is a story about how it got there...maybe a bear hunt on Kodiak.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were you I would use a scotch brite pad instead of steel wool, unless you have a supply of stainless steel or bronze wool around. The rusting iron will be imbedded in the stainless of the rifle causing you more trouble.

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imhance:
If I were you I would use a scotch brite pad instead of steel wool, unless you have a supply of stainless steel or bronze wool around. The rusting iron will be imbedded in the stainless of the rifle causing you more trouble.
thumb

Now that's sound advice, never use steel wool on gun projects for this reason. Including stocks!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote