Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding Work to be Done
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
As you can tell, I'm new to this forum and, I am new to shooting firearms. Someone suggested that I do the dollar bill test on my rifles to see if they need bedding. I have a Rem. Model 7 in .300 SAUM, A Rem. 700 VLS w/heavy barrel in .243 WIN, and a Ruger All Weather 77 in 7mm Rem. Mag.

Guess what! None of these rifles pass the bill test!! I can't even get the bill started. What's worse: The 700 VLS is brand new and has not been fired! What should I do next? I am simply in dismay.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dollar bill is to test whether the barrel is free floated or not. It is free floated when the barrel is not touching the inletting in the forearm for the majority of it's length. It often touches for the first 2 inches or so but most often, factory rifles are in full contact in this area.

Bedding is the treatment that is given to those critical areas where the contact is required, at the first 2 inches, at the recoil lug surface and at the rear of the action. The idea is to make sure the barreled action has a solid foundation in the stock.

Now what do you want to do, free float or bed the action or both?

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to rebed your rifles ONLY if they don't shoot well.

Some rifles shoot best with free floating barrels (dollar bill test) and some do better with a lttle upward pressure on the barrel.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I don't really know which to do. I just want to make the rifles as accurate as possible. I'm not planning to enter any competitions, I just want them to shoot as well as they can. I am a converted archer and I simply enjoy the process of accurate shooting with whatever weapon.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the other Gentlemen mentioned, many factory rifles come with a pressure point in the barrel channel about 2" back from the front of the stock. Sometimes free-floating the barrel(ie taking out any and all points of contact with the barrel) will enhance accuracy. Sometimes it wont. My rifles are about 50-50 as far as being floated. Some aren't, and don't need to be, and some are. How are the rifles shooting? What size groups are you getting out of them? If you let us know, I'm sure someone will be able to advise if floating the barrel and additional bedding of the action seem necessary.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum
-Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote