New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which reamer for custom 6.5x284
 Login/Join

<David King>
posted
I'm having a 6.5x284 built and intend to shoot the Black Hills factory ammo.

Which reamer is the one to use, 6.5x284 Norma, 6.5x284 Winchester, 6.5x284 Morton, 6.5x284 Lapua?

Which is used by most target shooters?

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Morton, but I believe that the others are dimensionally identical. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The difference between the Norma and Winchester variations is in the neck diameter. The Winchester flavor was/is used when the only brass available was resized .284 Win brass.

Benchrest shooters are crazy buggers who will use the same basic reamer dimensions but with custom sized necks (ie. 6.5 Shehane, etc.) depending upon what their witch doctor told them that week...

I went with the Norma reamer. I believe the Black Hills ammo is loaded on Norma brass, but I could be wrong (it could be Hornady).

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
We have a winner [Big Grin]

I would go for the NORMA since that is a standard cartridge CIP approved and all. Both NORMA and LAPUA makes good cases, I'm not sure if anyone imports lapua cases to USA.

Benchrest shooters are like some religious people; say amen to everything [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

GOOD LUCK

/ JOHAN

[ 06-19-2002, 22:11: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

<David King>
posted
Thanks

6.5 x 284 Norma it is then.

/r

one of us
posted Hide Post
David, I would write or call the reamer manufacturer on all and get exact dimensions. I went with the Winchester because I just couldn't see paying twice as much for Norma or Hornady brass when Winchester 284 brass is still plentiful. It still gets me .5" groups so the Winchester brass must not be that bad. If you need to, you can always get a Redding bushing die to size the neck as you need.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All,

I am currently working on a 6.5x284 and will be shooting a combination of Black hills loaded norma ammo and loaded ammo with I will load with Win brass and sierra 142 bullets like black hills is loading. I purchased a Manson reamer. Is there that much diffence in reamers and difference in the throat? Black hills seats the bullets in pretty far to function in short actions. Well it will be interesting to see what happens when I get done.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote