New
Find
Notify
Tools

Candle Wax Chamber Casts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Haven't thought about Chamber Casts in a good while now. Had a fellow ask me "Why?" I'd told him to get the GunSmith to do a Chamber Cast for him and his new barrel.

Told him it used to be routine practice for the Elder GunSmiths I knew as a kid. It allowed them to brag a bit on their skill. And a person could determine Neck Thickness measurements if need be. Of course, the same Elders ALWAYS stamped the Neck Info on the barrel back then, which I understand is toooooooo much trouble now days - pitiful!

Anyway, as we discussed it, I seem to remember "Candle Wax" being used back then for the Chamber Casts. I realize the current fad is Cerosafe and I'm sure it does a great job.

Just wondering if anyone remembers a time when Candle Wax was used? Or is that way too old for everyone?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, there was an oldtimer I knew who used wax for chamber casts. Don't know if it was candle or his own mix. I asked him one time why he didn't use sulphur like the "pros". He looked at me and said, "Cause it don't smell like your farts, you little dipshit".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster,I think I met that guy somewhere in my past.It seems that was said a lot back then.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmoThanks Craigster. I doubt the Sulfur "aroma" would have been noticed around some of the Elders I knew, might have improved some of them. rotflmo

Strange none of the folks who "claim to be" GunSmiths have jumped in. I guess it is because the thread is not about gloating on Termite Food, or perhaps they really don't know what a Chamber Cast is. Perhaps none of them have ever done a Chamber Cast.

Some of the Gumbo Clay in KY "might" do right well. clap

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I use Cerro.

Candle wax would give you a pretty 3D picture but it would never yield usable information. The thermal movement of wax is such that you'd have to know the temp of the casting, and the temp of the barrel when the wax solidified and then use a % shrinkage formula to get any meaningful data.

BTW I'm ME and very familiar with lost wax precision investment casting.

I'm still chuckling, candle wax for a chamber cast, you're killing me.... rotflmo

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I made a few chamber casts with sulfur. Have since gone to Cerrosafe, very easy to use.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, I think you would probably have as much luck using ear wax, or shoe polish as candle wax. Remember how we used to light shoe polish in the Corps for spit shining boots? You might try something like that. Be sure to wear gloves. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Remember how we used to light shoe polish in the Corps for spit shining boots?
You say that as if it is in the past tense. Big Grin

I must either be a lot older than most on the Board or was taught by folks who were REALLY ancient. Probably bof'um. Big Grin
-----

The question was not intended to disparage Cerosafe, just seeing if anyone knew about Candle Wax. I've no doubt the properties of Cerosafe make it retain very close to the actual measurements for a long time while it ages. And it is less likely to deform while being handled and/or measured.

I'd guess the same folks do not remember when the (rag) M70s were considered exceptionally accurate to shoot 1.5"-1.75" groups.
-----

I appreciate the input and especially what Craigster went through. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Malm and HC,

Speaking of firing up the shoe polish, do either of you remember the trick some guys used with the IIRC, five day deodorant pads for spitshining? Never tried it myself, besides always loved the smell of napalm and shoe polish in the morning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never tried that. Do they contain Sulfur? Big Grin

Had a buddy I grew up with who used Spray Pledge Furniture Polish and an old pair of his Mother's hose to do his shoes.

I used to use a good bit of Black, Brown and Cordovan, now it is mostly Neutral or Clear on the few shoes that get polished. I'd suspect there are folks on the Board that have never polished a shoe - probably Termite Food LOVERS!!! rotflmo

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Whats wrong W/Cerrosafe?

It's a metal alloy that melts & 190*F so you can use a cloth patch to plug the bore. If you dp happen to screw-up & leave it in too long or otherwise get it "locked" into the chamber, putting the stripped action in a pot of boiling water will melt the Cerrosafe. No stinky like sulfer

Don't ask me how I know that last detail! homer

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Never tried that. Do they contain Sulfur? Big Grin

Had a buddy I grew up with who used Spray Pledge Furniture Polish and an old pair of his Mother's hose to do his shoes.

I used to use a good bit of Black, Brown and Cordovan, now it is mostly Neutral or Clear on the few shoes that get polished. I'd suspect there are folks on the Board that have never polished a shoe - probably Termite Food LOVERS!!! rotflmo

Never heard of a 5 day deodorant pad til now, only have 1 pair of leather boots and they are the current Marine Corps issue and are polished with a wire brush (way too easy). The rest of my shoes are synthetics, which has absolutely nothing to do with wax chamber casts. Sorry.

I did visit a wax museum once when I was in California though. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wire brush? How 'bout a Hershey Bar and a brick?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of firing up the shoe polish, do either of you remember the trick some guys used with the IIRC, five day deodorant pads for spitshining? Never tried it myself, besides always loved the smell of napalm and shoe polish in the morning.

My brother, who spent a summer between semesters sky diving, polished his jump boots (issue AA) with 5 day deodorant pads, a tip I would assume, from a former military guy in the parachute club. circa 1962.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always used cerrosafe.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a bit dated thread that I'm pulling back because of something I read in a Savage Catalog. I didn't think I was going to find a Date, but I just found it and it is the 2009 catalog. Perhaps the below reference is what caused me to ask about this in the first place, back on 18Nov09. I just don't remember.

ANYWAY....., on page 17 of the catalog is a picture of a guy pouring something liquid into a Chamber. Up in the top left corner is the caption, "A wax mold is made of the chamber, which is then measured to ensure its critical dimensions remain within the tightest tolerances."

It is a B&W flick so you can not tell the color of the Wax. And it does not say what kind of Wax is used. May in fact be something other than plain old Candle Wax.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
there are machinable waxes out there that melt at low temp. maybe something like that. they are as hard as plastic when solid and don't shrink much if at all.

look up rapid prototyping

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Here is a bit dated thread that I'm pulling back because of something I read in a Savage Catalog. I didn't think I was going to find a Date, but I just found it and it is the 2009 catalog. Perhaps the below reference is what caused me to ask about this in the first place, back on 18Nov09. I just don't remember.

ANYWAY....., on page 17 of the catalog is a picture of a guy pouring something liquid into a Chamber. Up in the top left corner is the caption, "A wax mold is made of the chamber, which is then measured to ensure its critical dimensions remain within the tightest tolerances."

It is a B&W flick so you can not tell the color of the Wax. And it does not say what kind of Wax is used. May in fact be something other than plain old Candle Wax.

HC,
I thought you didn't believe in thingies?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey KC, That may be what they are doing.

Hey SR4759, Depends on who the "User" happens to be. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 5 day deoderent pad work great on Jump Boots. They were just the right thing to give you the edge on inspection day. Cool

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What the old timers knew was that by adding Stearic Powder or another hardener to the wax it would not stick and shrinkage would be reduced to similar tolerances as Cerro. And wax doesn't stink like sulfur.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, Thank you for that insight.

If the Elders of my youth added anything, they either didn't tell me, or they told me and I just don't remember.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to use wax when Cerrosafe is available. No odor, no hassle, no additives, no special treatment, reliable performance, easy storage, low cost, multiple repeat uses; why use anything else?

BTW Hot Core, your post appeared to disparage smiths younger than you; sorry if I mistook your intent but I'm somewhat offended by your apparent attitude. Age and experience don't necessarily lead to expertise, often they lead merely to confusion, stubbornness and even dementia...

I stamp all NON-STANDARD info on the hidden underside of the barrel, no need to clutter the rifle up with visible extraneous stampings of standard dimensions. Bbl underside always has bbl maker, chambering, my name, date and anything else that can't be immediately inferred from the cartridge ID; you know, things like special twist, groove size, bore size, special throating, neck diameter etc. IF DIFFERENT FROM STANDARD!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote