New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust blueing of fine engraving, or symbols
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When you folks rust blue a firearm that has shallow or detailed symbols/engraving are there any precautions, or steps, that you take to preserve the detail of the engraving?

I am restoring a 60's Colt Trooper and would like to rust blue it, but I don't want to destroy the colt symbol on the sideplate. The other markings are deep enough to survive without any concern. Since rust blueing removes some metal, I am questioning my choice and I haven't run into this in any previous rifle build.

Please don't blast me for not sending it to Colt to be refinished. This isn't a collectors grade pistol, but it shoots very well. I've already gotten an earful from a couple of local Colt lovers.

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rust bluing takes off a minimum of metal, I don't think it would affect the colt logo. I have never noticed it taking off even the most shallow mark. If you have a 240 grit sanding scratch, it is there when you finish, just as bad as when you started!

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ssdave. That is the way that I was leaning, but wasn't sure.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote