THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you rate the Browning A-bolt ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I guess this is a little after the fact as I sent a fellow a check for one this morning. but, I've never owned one or even shot one. How do they compare to a Rem. 700 or a Ruger 77 mkII ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two and like them very much. Both are the earier version, not II's.
The 7-08 Micro Medallion was my first and other than the shiny surfaces I think it's my best rifle. It's been very accurate and the action smooth. I did have the trigger tuned to a crisp 3#'s.
The 7 RM Stainless Stalker was a bit of a different story. I had to slick up the action, very gritty, and tune the trigger. It also has been very accurate.
I don't have a 77 MkII to compare them with although I do have a 77RL. The tang safety is common between them and I prefer it there. I also prefer the A-Bolts detachable magazine. Don't lose it or get a second as back up. You may find that you'll need to use a jewelers file to put groove in the magazine where the bullet tips track to adjust for a shorter free-bore.
My 700 is an 8mm RM classic and doesn't have much in common with the Brownings. The Sako TRG-S has more in common with its detachable magazine and tang safety.
I've heard of some A-Bolts being lemons, as are anything that's mass produced but, over all I believe they are a respectable firearm.
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I don't have an abolt but have shot several that friends have and have always found them to be very good rifles. I don't particularly like the noise the Boss puts out (if you got Boss) but you can dial in acceptable groups with every load we tried. Almost all Brownings have the shiny stock, I've got it on my 2 BARs and my BLR. If it gets nicked up it's a little bit of a pain to cover but otherwise it's fine. I've found them to be at least as accurate as my Ruger 77 and the Remingtons I've shot.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You want the truth? I suspect you can't handle the truth! (at this stage in the game).

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I think the A-bolts are nice, accurate rifles. Miroku makes them, and they also make the Browning Citori O/U shotguns. I think they do good work.

Don't let Chuck scare you. The A-bolt takes some knocks on this board since most folks are focused on hunting in Africa and killing dangerous game, and the A-bolt has a couple of AR tragic flaws:

1) It's a push feed acton.

2) It's apparently not easy to strip the bolt down in the field.

3) There are some folks who think the bolt stop's not big enough.

That said, all of them seem to be accurate, to have good ergonomics, and they have some neat features (short bolt lift, strong 3 lug action, detachable magazine). I think you'll be pleased with your rifle.

Steve

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
One of my rifles that I will never sell is my A-Bolt in .338 Win!! First handload I cooked up for it shot .75 MOA. I've never felt the need to mess with it. I love the 60 degree bolt lift, and the safety is on the tang, where it should be. My trigger was also easily adjustable, but mine is an earlier A-Bolt. I think you'll like it. As far as I'm concerned, it's way more than a 700 or a Ruger.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought I stepped up when I went from a Remington ADL 700 to a Browning A-Bolt II Medallion. I think they are both fine guns. No complaints here.

Posts: 13876 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The three lug bolt-design is a good one for accuracy. Easily holds it's own against M70s, M700s and M77s. You may like some features on "this" rifle better than on "that", but over all a good product.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned several: .22, 7mm Mag Stainless Stalker, .308 Composite Stalker, .300 WSM Hunter. The .22 was a beautiful little gun that was reasonably accurate for a .22. The 7mm Mag was very frustrating for a long time. I probably handloaded 30 different loads before I found one that would shoot under an inch consistently. The .308 was accurate right out of the box. And the Short Mag is the most accurate hunting rifle I've ever owned or shot. It shoots almost all loads under an inch and has shot several different loads at a half inch. I like the tang safety a lot. It feeds and extracts effortlessly. The trigger is probably 4-4.5 pounds but breaks like glass with absolutely no creep. The bolt knob on all of them is ugly, but different. I really like the lines of the A-Bolt action and the short bolt lift. The matte finish on the .308 and Short Mag is flawless, as was the high gloss finish of the .22. The stocks all fit me perfectly, but I think my Short Mag deserves high end walnut. And none of them have ever let me down. Of course, I could make that same statement about the 10 or so Model 700s that I've owned. Never owned a Ruger bolt gun, so I can't comment there....

The A-Bolts may be different than other bolt guns, but I don't think there is one damn thing WRONG with them.....

JMHO. Of course, YMMV.

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had several, and they all shot really well. I can't say I'm impressed with the look of the cheap bolt shroud, but aside from that, and the fact that I've noticed the quality from gun to gun has slipped a little, I like 'em. I'd look one over carefully before buying, as I've noticed some are poorly fitted into the stock. I have yet to talk to a hunter who wasn't impressed with how accurate they shoot. Someone mentioned the ergomonics, and that's a good point, they are the most comfortable rifle I've ever shot, they just seem to fit me really well and the syn stock with the palm swell is especially nice. I read somewhere that professional hunters hate 'em because they are a gunsmith's best friend, but I also have yet to find anyone who's broke one, and some of the guys I know, have shot theirs so much the finish is practically worn off, and tossed around in the bed of a truck and still they shoot, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I had one come into my shop that had a busted bolt shroud. It was made of some sort of pot metal looking stuff, that I was not impressed with. The owner said it "just fell apart" as he was working a cartridge into the chamber. Ruined his Elk hunt pronto.

Other than that, I haven't heard of/seen any more bad examples. Hope the newer ones have an improved shroud. For what they cost, I hope they changed that feature. Joe

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned an A-Bolt for a couple years. Very accurate and I had no trouble with it. Got rid of it as I decided to move my battery to all Controlled Round Feed. Personnal preference really. I expect you will be very pleased with your new rifle.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"How would you rate the Browning A-bolt ?"

It sucks. Get one little dab of mud on it and the thing binds up and won't work. Get a Sako or Tikka and be happy.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree with the "it sucks" rating. Not a quality-built firearm, and definately not my kind of rifle.

I grew up during the time when Browning's bolt action hunting rifle was the Belgian-made "High-Power" which was a beautifully-built rifle of the highest quality. It was extremely durable, accurate, reliable, and superbly finished. By any measure, the A-Bolt would take third prize in a two-entry contest next to the old Browning High-Power.

Besides, 'Made In Japan' stamped on the barrel just doesn't cut it for any rifle I'm going to carry up the mountain.....

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also in the "they're crap" crowd.

Most current production rifles are well designed but poorly executed. It's exactly the opposite with A-Bolts: they're well finished, but a poor design; pretty, but finicky and fragile.

I don't own either, but if I was shopping for a new rifle I'd take a butt-ugly Savage over an A-Bolt in a heart-beat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i've had a s/s in a 270 for about 14 yrs now and have not had a single problem. i hunt extremely hard, often in the pooring rain- it has never failed me. it is plenty accurate enough for any hunting situation. if you ask aroung enough about any rifle made, someone will have something bad to say. the only thing that did turn me off was the made in japan thing, but all in all, i wouldn't trade it for anything( it has a lot a &#65279;sentimental value for several diff. reasons)

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
My limited experience is with a 22 Hornet and it has been a fine little rifle.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also have owned and hunted with a .270 A bolt (left hand) Stainless Stalker for over 10 years. Function has been flawless and it's very accurate.

Jon