New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber 9.3x57??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a good reason why one could not rechamber a M98LR 9.3x57 to 9.3x62?? Assuming the bore is the same, action length/mag suitable for the conversion, is there another item or two not being considered to do such a job? Friend is looking for Mauser in 9.3x57 and wants to rechamber and asked me about it, but I am not sure. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Pretty common modification on the '98.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Considering I still own about ten 9.3x57's I'd suggest doing a chamber cast first to be sure that the chamber will clean up. Even among the many Husqvarnas that are oh so popular now the chamber dimensions vary greatly.

In theory its an easy rechambering, in practice, not always so.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Martin,

I had a Husky M146 rechambered to x62. Worked like a charm, feeds fine. I left the flag safety, the bolt handle bent down and only use the iron sights which had to be filed .050" lower to zero with the new cartridge.

Sanded and refinished the stock and called it "good". It's light, accurate, easy to point and I just wish I'd found a deer to christen it properly during gun season. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had dennis olson from Plains Montana do it on a m96 husqvarna.... Worked great!

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote