New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock fitting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This may be a silly question but how do you fit a stock to a person? I have a boyds warner varminter on a savage in most ways I like the stock but shooting from the bench it just feels like something is not right. How would you measure, etc to fit it to me?
thanks

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Books have been written on that subject alone, and it is too complicated to do on this forum...Get a good book and read up on it..

Other than that try it as you make it..close your eyes point the gun and open your eyes, you should have a "perfect sight picture" if not "absolutly exact" then make the changes necessary, but knowing the changes may be a little tricky to a beginner....

Stockmaking is gained by years of experience and lots of study, and not something learned overnight...

I have seen certain individual hog out a barrel channel, useing lamp black as a guide until the barrel channel was chewed out on one side and the gun sat crooked in the stock, when in fact the pressure usually comes from one side of the tang or the other and forces the barrel right or left...a little releaf there straightened it right up and then the stock was a mess...same with fitting a stock, once you go to far you cannot go back and fix it...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Orland, tell me where it doesnt feel right. If we are dealing with a rifle you can compensate and most hunters or shooters do with off the rack rifles. Shotguns are a completely different matter. I assume you don't want a dissertation in stockmaking but just what is needed to fit the rifle to you. I need a few more clues as to what isn't right.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
customstox, I am a right hand shooter. The stock feels good when shooting from a bi-pod but at the bench it seems too short yet it is the same length (from butt to trigger) as my other rifles. I have tried sliding the rifle forward on the bags and shooting completely free recoil but still puts my trigger arm in a different position than I like.

I just set up on the kitchen table like I was shooting from my bench and it seems if I raise the rifle equal front and rear about two inches it puts me in a more comfortable position.

[ 06-23-2003, 05:18: Message edited by: orland ]

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote