New
Find
Notify
Tools

advice needed regarding a 1910 Ross 303
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ross straight-pull 303 in very nice shape. But, I have concerns about firing it, since there is a history (true or untrue) of bolt blowback into the shooter's face. Can anyone advise me how to determine whether the action/bolt is secure and safe to fire? Thanks.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There are some books on Ross rifles that should help. Not sure of titles check amazon and ebay.

I have heard that 99% of the problems with Ross rifles stems from incorrect assembly. This is what I have heard, not claiming I know anything about it. Or what I have heard is 100% correct.

I'd love to have a nice one in good shape in 280 Ross. I haven't seen one in about 15 years.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My advice; DO NOT fire it. If not assembled correctly, your head catches the bolt. It is true.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS WYOMING!!
Many years ago, a gunsmith named Jennings, in Winnipeg, Canada ....successfully converted Ross rifles to left hand. I don't know how many he built, but there must have been a few.....it was an available service.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpcd:
My advice; DO NOT fire it. If not assembled correctly, your head catches the bolt. It is true.[/QUOTI figured I would fire it a couple of times while holding the rifle off to the side. If it worked OK.....I could make a decision from there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 36 | Location: Chula Vista Ca. | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cvycbob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaSui_UqDX8

really interesting, thanks.....excellent pertinent info

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

At first were you taken back by the futon?

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes....futon gross

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not the way the bolt is assembled on the Ross,,it's the way the rotating head is configured when the assembled bolt is placed into the rec'vr.

The rotating bolt head must be extended forward from the bolt body,,the locking lugs will be horizontal.
If the bolt head snaps back into the bolt body while the bolt is out of the rifle, the lugs will be in the vertical position.

In that retracted position is where the problem came to be..
It is possible to turn the bolt head in that retracted position and get the locking lugs to the horizontal position.
But they are still retracted. The bolt assembly will slide back into the rifle in that condition,,a cartridge will be stripped from the magazine and chambered and the sear will cock and release with the trigger pull.
But--the locking lugs on the bolt being retracted will never enter nor rotate into position in the recv'rs locking lug cuts.

The rifle will fire in this condition with nothing holding it locked shut. The bolt stop then being the only part that keeps the bolt from exiting the rear of the action upon firing.
Quite often the bolt stop will shear off as it is hardened and is not all that robust anyway.

Canadian armorers fixed the 'problem' by installing a single small rivit pin into the left side of the bolt body.
That intercepts the bolt head raceway and won't allow it to be flipped around when in the retracted position.
Simple fix, but if not there, it's easy to imagine a bored Soldier w/hours of time on their hands taking the bolt out of their rifle in the trenches to make sure it's clean and then hastily throwing it back in place when all hell breaks loose.

I shoot my 1910 .280 Ross sporter all the time as do many others w/no problems. You just have to think a little about what you're doing. They are firearms after all.
The 1905 Ross doesn't have the problem with the bolt.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
http://www.cabelas.com/product...-in-Ross/1822159.uts

Just found this one.

that's a handsome rifle!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've owned and shot the 1905. 1907. and 1910 Rosses.

For the reason posted jby2152 ust above this post, I would never own another 1910.

The nice thing to my way of thinking is that both the 1905 and the 1907 do not have interrupted thread bolt heads. They have bolt heads with two locking lugs.

My favorite was the transitional 1905/1907 carbine. I bought mine at auction in Red Deer, Alberta for $7 Canadian, and used it for many years in both Alberta & Saskatchewan as my "canoe gun" when moose huntng.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote