New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 7600, Browning BLR Owners Happy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have some decent bolt action rifles, but in the endless quest for "one more" rifle, I've started thinking about something with a little faster action than a bolt, with enough "zing" for deer, but minimum recoil. I'm a little leery of semi-auto, since they don't always "digest" some loads.

So I'm looking at .243 in either the Remington 7600 pump action, or the Browning BLR lever action.

Any of you own either of these? What are your comments? Are they reliable? Reasonably accurate?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
I have the old model BLR in 7/08. Love it. Want the 7600 in 35 Whelen. Will get one.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Stay far away from the Rem 7400 jam-o-matic.
The 7600 has been fine for the guys in our camp, as has the BLR. I had one small problem with mine, (BLR) but it was fixed for $45.00 CDN.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have friends who own Rem's in 6mm and .270 both shoot really well in spite of see thru mounts on one of them!

I saw a .35 Whelen at a shop and want it myself but it was about $475-$500 dollars I think!!

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have deer hunter with a Rem 760 in 30-06 for 30 years. The accuracy of these guns will amaze you.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to come in here in defense of the 7400, My 7400 jamamatic has accounted for many deer. It is nice for white tail in the brush and is surprisingly accurate at 100 yards. Some things could be better such as the tiny little action handle and the clips could work better but I will carry it any time on the river.

Posts: 67 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: 09 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Ozhunter>
posted
Have a pre 81 BLR in 308 which shoots very well for a carbine type rifle with a two peice stock...handloads 1 1/4 MOA for 5 shots.

Fine with new brass but requires small base sized brass for reliable chambering of reloads....small price to pay for the fast follow up shots.

Ozhunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several 7600 and BLR's. Both are quick pointing and fast on followup shots.
Of the two the 7600 is the faster on the pointing end. When you pull them up they are right on target. The 7600 also edges out the BLR in the accuracy dept.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 7600 in 35 Whelen, and I love it. It'll shoot one ragged hole at 100 yds. It is light and has surprisingly low recoil. The autos I've tried in the past have been mostly inaccurate, wouldn't feed all ammo, and were too heavy. I've got a couple of friends with the BLR's and they have been pleased with them as well.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Well Denton...looks like you will have to have both models!
He who dies with the most toys wins! (but is still dead)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry...

Wonderful idea!!

I've also seen auctions for the discontinued Browning pump... but the reviews on the 7600 have been so great that it hardly seems worth the extra money.

I've never had a lever action, so I don't have a basis for comparison. But I do have a Remington pump shotgun, and I find it very easy to believe that the motion on a pump leaves you more nearly on target. With a pump, you are using the strong bicep muscles to pull the gun toward your shoulder, then directly forward. With a lever, you are using the weaker muscles in the back of your arm, and trying to pull the butt of the gun downward and forward.

Seems that .308 is the most popular caliber for the 7600, but that's a little heavier than what I want. This one is for plinking, coyotes, and the occasional mulie.

Everybody has chipped in a wealth of information. Thanks to all of you! Another $100 in the kitty, and I'll go shopping.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Denton,
Just remember this great old saying, "I one gun us good...two are better!"
Glad I could help make your day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a Rem 760 in 257 roberts on one of the auctions yesterday looked nice as I recall. Should do what you want to a tee. I'll go see if I can find it.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2366418

Heck who knows maybe I'll throw in a bid.

RJS

[This message has been edited by RJS (edited 02-19-2002).]

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't thought about a .257 Roberts. That's a nice caliber.

My next door neighbor has an FFL, and will order me anything I want new, at cost. (I try to be very nice to him!!) I think I wander over to his place tonight and see what a new one costs... then I'll have an idea what I should pay for a used one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bad news! Went to see my friend with the FFL, and he doesn't have one anymore. BATF has been around to all the "kitchen table" dealers in Utah, in advance of the Olympics, and shut down as many as possible. His sin? He buys guns at cost for himself and a few of his friends. Gun dealers have to make a profit. So they lifted his license.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton,
My 760 is the best gun I've owned, by far. Fast, easy handling. Extremely accurate.

As I find used ones, I will be buying them for my children.

I couldn't be happier with mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 760-7600 I have a 257 Roberts, Two 35 Whelens, 280 Rem, 243 Win. One of the 35's is a 760 all the others are 7600. I will not part with any of them. I also want to get one in 308. The two 35 were 30-06 and I had them rebored to 35 whelen. My father has a 760 30-06 that he bought in the 70's and one of these days it will be mine. This will be the only 06 that ever comes into my ownership that I will not make something else out of.

one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Nut:

I am interested in getting a 760 rebarreled to .35 Whelen or .338-06. You said you had two rebored. Can you provide me with more information on how this was done. I would like to know how much money I need to save. Thanks.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big_R
I had both of mine done by R West reboring in Pam Oregon. Do a search on reboring and there are several threads on the subject. There are also several addresses of people that do reboring. In one of the threads someone posted that West is retired. They all recommend using a 30-06 as after boring the barrel it just needs to be throated. It cost me about $200.00 each.

<Hutt>
posted
I have the BLR in 223 and keep it with me when I'm on my ATV. It's quick to point and accuracy is about 2" @ 100yds.While not as accurate as the bolts it does serve it's nitch very well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few listed in gun list (for the 7600) in 25/06 and 260 cals.

Something to think about

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Pump actions are faster than levers. The 760 Rem. type also has a good rep for accuracy. That said, I had a Browning BLR, and it was both light, handy and very accurate (.358 Win.). The only complain I had was that Browning has adamantly refused to put sling swivel bases on these guns. I guess they think the darn things are supposed to be saddle carbines, or something!!

------------------
Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Savage M-99. 250 or 243. Get the old one with the rotary mag. It is made of real machined steel and walnut. : ) Killed lots of deer with one in 243. Mount a scope on it. I had a 2-7 Leupold. It was an extremly sensible and accurate rig. I have a soft spot for 257 Roberts. I think it would be a dandy combo in the 99.

For what it's worth, I do not believe fast shooting has much value for deer hunting. Fast follow-up shots I mean. I think most guys would do better with a single shot. If you need to shoot faster than a bolt gun will allow you, should reconsiter your tactics. Be deleberate, shoot straight, but, don't waste time.

When out hunting when if you hear one shot, or one shot followed a second a minuet or so later, there is likely a dead deer. If you hear bang, bang, bang....you can be pretty sure there will be no meat in the locker.

As a kid I did a lot of banging, later, I started concentrating on making that one shot count. Killed almost everything I shot at after that.

My .02 worth.

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 02-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 02-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 02-25-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beware of those Remington pumps and semi autos. Years ago I had the same dilema that you are facing and I ended up with a 30-06 REmington 740( I believe this was the right # it was later replaced by the 7400). I was using this gun for woods hunting on deer so I had it equiped with a Lyman peep site since there was generally snow during the Wisconsin season. Well I did bag several deer with it but I missed the biggest buck I have ever seen alive, with all 5 shots. The deer was running about 1/2 throttle and the range was around 100 yards. I new the gun would group rested at 100 yards about 3 1/2" and I blamed that level of accuracy as the cause for the misses. I then went to a low power variable thinking this would make the rifle more accurate....wrong, the pattern stayed the same. So off to the gun smith I went only to fine out that the barrels on this rifle along with its pump brother are not threaded into the receiver very similar to their M870 Shotguns. Therefor the poor tolerances and the fact that the scope and or Peep is mounted to the reciever there was no solid fusion of the sighting system to the barrel. I then wrote to Remington and explained to them that I was disatisfied with the accuracy of the rifle and was there anything that they could do for me. As I recall they stated a 3 1/2 " group at 100yds was exceptable...end of story. I checked around for a suitable replacement and again 20 or so years ago the only semi auto 30-06 with a threaded barrel into the receiver was the Browning BAR, which I still own and it has served me well. The rifle is as accurate as any other rifle that I own. The newer ones have a feature which I wish mine had which is a bolt that stays locked back and releasable with the last round. Check it out I believe their BLR are built the same way, if you can't find an answer give the company a call and I am sure they will get the info for you...good hunting

[This message has been edited by raamw (edited 02-23-2002).]

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am happy with the BLR except the shiny stock.

The rem 760's made about 1980 and later are junky.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wife has 7600 in 270, gun is accurate and fun to shoot. The trigger is not adjustable and no replacement triggers that I know of. Gunsmith stoned trigger pull lighter but now has creep. overall good gun

Posts: 20 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scot...

A few years ago I picked up a bolt .223 that is very accurate, and fun. My brother-in-law, who still is not quite tuned to my sense of humor, told me that I ought to have gotten a Mini-14 like his, so I could shoot faster at deer. I thought about it for a second, and with my best straight face asked, "Why would anyone want to shoot twice at anything as large as a deer?" He wasn't quite sure how to take that for a while.

Of course you are right about the chorus of shots thing. It's just that it seems like a cool gun... fun to shoot. I've pretty well got the waterfront pretty well covered with bolt actions.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
My buddies boy got a 30-06 rem pump from his grandpa. We made up some 150 grain handloads and went to the range. It had a tough trigger but shot as good as any bolt action I own.

That year our hunting party (about 4 vehicles) was moving to a new woods about 5 mi from our normal grounds when we noticed a porquepine in the trees at about 285 yds. This 13 yr old boy asked for first crack at him. Everyone started getting out of the vehicles and getting their guns out so they could show him how to shoot after he missed.
He leaned against the side of the truck, I told him to put the "smallest crack of light" under the horizontal cross hair and squeeze. I don't know what fell faster--the Porky or everyones jaw. ANYHOW- from that day on that 13 yr old kid had more confidence in himself than I had ever seen before. Our crew still tells that story every hunting season during beverage intake!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say that if a deer is missed at 100 yards by a rifle that shoots 3 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, I don't think it would be hit with one that shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards either.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me explain, a bench rested rifle that shoots 3 1/2" in a best case senario can easliy shoot a much larger pattern from the shoulder unsupported and after several hours galavanting throught knee deep snow toward a target that is moving up and down at perhaps 25 Miles per hour. If it shot a pattern 3 1/2 times smaller you would have a much greater chance of hitting same target perhaps 3 1/2 times better.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Raamw -- I don't know why yours wouldn't shoot, but my 7600 in 35 Whelen has no problem with 1.5" five shot groups, even with a 3x scope on it. In general, the Remington pumps are considered accurate guns.

Evad, I just had Alan Timney work the trigger on my 7600 over, and he turned it into a very nice trigger, indeed. Not quite bench rest quality, and lots of overtravel, but absolutely no creep, and fully adustable trigger pull (he supplied 6 extra springs to adjust. Alan's number is 562 865-0181. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a explanation why that Remington wouldn't shoot. I do not like the Iron rear site on remingtons so right after I bought it I had the Lyman peep put on it (as a matter of fact I still have this peep). When I first shot this rifle at the range I was getting an even larger group than 3 1/2 (that was the best I ever got) I wasn't totally disappointed with this group with iron sites. I spent alot time with different loads, bullets powder and varying powder charges and several hundred rounds to get that 3 1/2 group. I didn't realize the problem till I put the 1.5 to 4.5 power scope, the group did not improve ( when I talk group I mean rested supported at 100yards). Thats what made me go to the gunsmith (he installed the peep on it originally) he is the one that explained to me how the rifle was built and he could tighten up the group but it may take some money to do so. He suggested that I speak to Remington and perhaps they would run it through there repair facility which I did and thay replied that 3 1/2 " groups out of that type rifle was acceptable.....was I disappointed I had 3 other remington bolts and 2 would shoot 3/4" and the other 1 1/2" consistantly. When I initally bought the Remington I looked at the browning BAR and I didn'y buy the browning because it was more expensive and the bolt did not lock back on an empty magazine which makes it easy to replace the mag and recharge the rifle. I eventually bought the browning, same caliber and it shoots 1 to 1 1/2" depending on the bullet. One of my hunting buddies just bought the exact rifle and his shoots 1 1/2" with factory 180's and I'm sure we will tighten that up with some handloads. I am sure there are a lot of satisfied Remington owners out there, I still have two bolt remington that I wouldn't get rid of it just upset me that remington wouldn't at least look at the gun, maybe it was a simple repair and I may have still had it. I had accuracy problem with a browning abolt in 375 and browning took the rifle back and the group went from 3 or 4" to under 1" (with certain loads), all that was done was reseating the action in the synthetis stock (it only cost me under $10 to send the rifle to them and that is chump change compared to the cost of the time and ammo it takes to tune a load to a particular rifle). I believ if these companies would pay more attention to quality and customer service they would have alot more happy dedicated customers and stronger demand for there products if they would stand behind them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
Let me explain, a bench rested rifle that shoots 3 1/2" in a best case senario can easliy shoot a much larger pattern from the shoulder unsupported and after several hours galavanting throught knee deep snow toward a target that is moving up and down at perhaps 25 Miles per hour. If it shot a pattern 3 1/2 times smaller you would have a much greater chance of hitting same target perhaps 3 1/2 times better.

I agree to a certain extent.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote