New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning back a barrel w/thread relief groove
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When turning back a Mauser barrel with a thread relief groove, do you just accept that you have .010 less of barrel tenon length for thread engagement? The thread relief area is too skinny to raise a thead.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.010 is a small thread relief and won't hurt a thing.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Butch.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a) I have a 300 Win mag Mauser that is so set back, it has only half the threads.
It has greased threads, a barrel put on with hundreds of pounds of torque, and shoots hot loads.

b) I also have a 243 Mauser with full length threads but the difference between the major diameter and minor diameter on the barrel threads is only half of what it should be. The threads look like the peaks are gone. That barrel takes the torque and hot loads too.

c) I have a 45acp Mauser with the barrel threads cut so perfectly that there is no play when screwed in half way, and yet it is easy to turn. These threads look nice under the jeweler's loop, all shiny with no tearing. This rifle is no more accurate than any other Mauser, but it does have accuracy with very little torque on the barrel. It will shoot groups at 100 yards while finger tight.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
When turning back a Mauser barrel with a thread relief groove, do you just accept that you have .010 less of barrel tenon length for thread engagement? The thread relief area is too skinny to raise a thead.

I think your thread relief is probably .100 wide not .010. You lose about one turn. Probably of no consequence though.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
a) I have a 300 Win mag Mauser that is so set back, it has only half the threads.
It has greased threads, a barrel put on with hundreds of pounds of torque, and shoots hot loads.

b) I also have a 243 Mauser with full length threads but the difference between the major diameter and minor diameter on the barrel threads is only half of what it should be. The threads look like the peaks are gone. That barrel takes the torque and hot loads too.

c) I have a 45acp Mauser with the barrel threads cut so perfectly that there is no play when screwed in half way, and yet it is easy to turn. These threads look nice under the jeweler's loop, all shiny with no tearing. This rifle is no more accurate than any other Mauser, but it does have accuracy with very little torque on the barrel. It will shoot groups at 100 yards while finger tight.

When using 60° V threads the strength difference between a 100% thread and a 75% thread is only 3% and the sharp major diameter of the 100% thread is easily damaged.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote