New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am putting a new stock on a new mark X. I don't want to use the side safety. can I remove the side safety from the trigger and still use the trigger? If so, will that trigger work with a new 3 position winchester type safety?

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes you can. the Model 70 type safeties do not interface with the trigger at all. Not directly.
I would cut the thumb piece off down next to the bar and leave the bar in place, in the forward position.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's actually a pretty good trigger, without the safety. I've found the safety to be unreliable when the trigger is adjusted down to a reasonable pull and engagement. Removing the safety as DPCD said and going to a Wisner 3 position is the answer.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Mark X stopped working 40+ years ago! I had a 2 position M70 type safety installed---Gentry I think. Left the old safety in place.

Works well!

Hip

Posts: 1893 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the safety's on the ones i've owned is adjustable.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Blackburn safety here that i could also use. Does the Mark X safety have any sales value.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I have a new Blackburn safety here that i could also use. Does the Mark X safety have any sales value.

If you sell it with the trigger, the whole assembly is worth approximately $40 to $50. By itself, you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to pay for it; most would just replace the trigger and safety with something else if it needed replaced.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I removed mine over 40 years ago, threw it is some drawer, replaced it with with a Wisner and have never missed it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The safety bar is worth nothing. Either sell the whole thing and put a Timney in it, or remove just the safety.
I'd go for the Timney. A much better trigger.
No one wants a MK 10 trigger though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't the Mark X triggers extend to the rear action screw hole? Or was that only Santa Barbara and Parker Hale?

Timney's do not, so a little stock work might need to be done if you go that route.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
can I remove the side safety from the trigger and still use the trigger?

Don't forget to engrave your name, address and SS# on the side of the trigger explaining that you removed a safety device and wish to assume ALL liability from now to the end of time.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The MK X safeties don't extend to the rear guard screw hold; you are thinking about the Parker Hale/Santa Banta Barbera triggers. Those things are an abomination.
I am not concerned with removing a safety since I am also installing one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have thought that the safety and trigger together might be of some value to someone who wants to use a scope on a Mauser but doesn't want to buy a two position or 3 position model 70 style safety., or doesn't want to pay a lot of money for the Timney trigger and side safety.

From what I have just read it sounds to me like there is a regulation that requires marking a trigger if a safety is removed from the trigger, but not if a safety is removed from a different part of the action such as replacing a Mauser shroud and 3 position safety for a Winchester model 70 style shroud and safety.

KJK

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Definitely there is no regulation on rifle safeties; He is talking about potential liability. You can remove and install all the parts you want to your own property.
The MK X trigger mech is definitely worth something if you sell it. Just not what a Romney is worth, to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Mark X I removed the trigger and replaced with a Model 70 style trigger and Dakota 3 position safety I sold the Mark X trigger off for about $50 on ebay.

Potential liability: My attorney years ago told me "never worry about potential liability". That's a distracting waste of time. Worry about actual liability. If you did something wrong, and didn't correct it, you're liable. Simple as that. Taking off a not very reliable safety and mediocre trigger and replacing with an ultra reliable and safe model 70 3 position, and a decent Timney or better trigger could cause you "potential liability" in the sense that some future owner could sue you for their actions since you did the work. But, you did nothing wrong or unsafe, just made it better and so there's no actual liability.

A lot like Remington and their trigger. Owners improperly adjust them, don't keep them clean, don't point the gun in a safe direction, and then sue Remington for THEIR actions.

If we all worried about Potential liability, nothing would ever get done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
Last Mark X I removed the trigger and replaced with a Model 70 style trigger and Dakota 3 position safety I sold the Mark X trigger off for about $50 on ebay.

Potential liability: My attorney years ago told me "never worry about potential liability". That's a distracting waste of time. Worry about actual liability. If you did something wrong, and didn't correct it, you're liable. Simple as that. Taking off a not very reliable safety and mediocre trigger and replacing with an ultra reliable and safe model 70 3 position, and a decent Timney or better trigger could cause you "potential liability" in the sense that some future owner could sue you for their actions since you did the work. But, you did nothing wrong or unsafe, just made it better and so there's no actual liability.

A lot like Remington and their trigger. Owners improperly adjust them, don't keep them clean, don't point the gun in a safe direction, and then sue Remington for THEIR actions.

If we all worried about Potential liability, nothing would ever get done.
further to that, people propagating potential liability concerns are complicit in the whole over the top liability cycle, which is a rampant and fundamental problem in developed countries and linked to people refusing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Come on guys, I'm just joking with the OP, he's a lawyer wanting to remove a safety. I smell a lawsuit coming.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Come on guys, I'm just joking with the OP, he's a lawyer wanting to remove a safety. I smell a lawsuit coming.
ha ha - very good, it’s hard to gauge the tone on forums sometimes…

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The safety bar is worth nothing. Either sell the whole thing and put a Timney in it, or remove just the safety.
I'd go for the Timney. A much better trigger.
No one wants a MK 10 trigger though.

I know the Win M70 safety is all the rage but I'm used to the slide safeties on my Sako, Anschutz and shotguns, and I like the look of the streamlined M98 bolt shroud on my Zastava.

Timney seem to make a trigger with safety for the FN M98 action. Do you see this as a reasonable compromise, dpcd?

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see, Jim. Employment opportunity for Jack Belk?

Sambarman338, you're certainly no worse off with a Timney with side trigger than with the original Mark X. I don't like the MarkX safety, if you adjust the engagement down low on the trigger, the safety will allow it to fire when the trigger is pulled excessively hard, even with safety engaged.

The advantage of the firing pin type safeties is that they retract the firing pin off the trigger, so if the trigger is pulled while the safety is engaged, it can reset and still catch the firing pin. The side safeties that just imobilize the trigger or sear are subject to wear or misadjustment or getting dirty, and can cause an AD in those cases, particularly if the user pulls the trigger with the safety on, or it is snagged on something and forcibly pulled. Like the infamous remington trigger lawsuit cases where the trigger was pulled with the safety on and didn't reset, resulting in the rifle firing when the safety was released.

Both type of safeties work, the M70 type and other similar firing pin retracting/locking designs are just superior in their positive action in locking the firing pin, and allowing the sear and trigger to reset if pulled when the safety is on.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:

Plus he's a notorious troll that has gone by many user names. Yet, too many insist on feeding the trolls.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For Sambar; Yes; the Timney with thumb safety is much better than the MK X.
I know you are not a troll living under a bridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am putting a new stock on a new mark X. I don't want to use the side safety. can I remove the side safety from the trigger and still use the trigger? If so, will that trigger work with a new 3 position winchester type safety?

Kevin-kolo-lindy-22whatever...,

Throw in the trigger parts with the bottom metal parts in the link below and I’ll up the offer to $79 shipped. For reel.

Ted’s parts

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted Chicken Nose Whatever ...,

Seems to me that I sold another mark X bottom metal like this one (with the release button on the triggerguard) for $225.00. It was for a .375 size cartridge. - Barreled action sold separately) But thanks for the offer.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Come on guys, I'm just joking with the OP,

Gunmaker

Wondering if the baseball paying son is playing college baseball anywhere this spring?

KJK

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks ssdave and dpcd,
I might see if I can get another Timney. We've already got one on a sporterised FN Mauser but only a low-scope wing safety on that one.

I haven't had any trouble with the Zastava set-up so far but I don't like the minute sear(?) engagement you can see through the window. My mate has set the trigger at about 4lb, though, because he doesn't use safeties. I don't follow that logic but generally like my triggers a bit lighter.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Or you can do what I heard some other guys do; pull the trigger often, to check if the safety is still on. Your friend sounds scary to be around.