Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Model 70 questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
I have got the bug to get a pre 64 in 300 H & H.

I am looking at one tomorrow. This is the info from our phone conversation. The seller has one made in 1955 with a broken stock (at the wrist) in 85% condition. The way I see it, it is a barreled action. What is a reasonable price for this? Also, he has a take-off factory Monte Carlo stock (pre-64) that needs to be fitted to the magnum action (the magazine box area has to be opened up) What is that worth?

I am just starting to look around and don't want to jump the gun (pardon the pun)

Also, please correct my following impressions if wrong.

Pre 52 are better than later guns
Post war guns should be drilled and tapped only on the top of the reciever, not the sides. Pre war guns will be drilled with 2 holes on the side on the front of the receiver.

What year did Winchester change from metal buttplates to rubber pads? (or were rubber pads an option)

thanks

[ 08-26-2003, 09:57: Message edited by: Duckear ]

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Blue book Value on the rifle in 80% is $750, but I'm sure that assumes the stock is solid. Just a guess, maybe....$400-$500

Personally I would pass on the monte carlo stock. The rifle wouldn't be stock and besides the rifle doesn't sound like a collector anyway.

[ 08-26-2003, 12:28: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'ld pass on the monte carlo stock also. I think I would lean more to a value of $400.

Check out www.Gunsamerica.com and look for a comparable item.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckear, magnum actions are worth more than standard. IF the barrel and action are in good shape other than the finish, it should be worth at least $500-600. And I may be too low at that.

While pre-52 rifles are more desirable, the difference are minor. The ones you'll notice are a hole in the bolt handle and the sight ramp is a separate, soldered on piece. All pre and post war rifles were drilled on the left side of the rear bridge for a receiver sight.

A 1955 rifle could have had a monte carlo stock. If the only thing you do is open the mag box, and you do a good job, it won't be original but it would be correct. The 300H&H would have had a steel butt plate. Recoil pads were optional but most you see were added by the user. That diminishes the value of the stock. An original stock in perfect condition with the steel butt plate would be worth $200-300. At least that's what they go for on Ebay. If the finish is worn and a pad has been added, it's more like $50-100.

What's the whole combo worth? Hard to say without seeing it. If the stock has a pad and the metal is decent, $600-750. If the stock has the metal butt plate, $700-900.

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
thanks for your help. I looked at it today and his price was a bit too high. I think he didn't really want to sell unless he got a real good price.

and the search continues..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are looking for a "shooter", or a collectible?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckear, do you mind saying what he was asking?

Mark

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckear - I have been seeing 300 H&H "shooters" in the $800-$850 price range. Unaltered pre-war's will probably start around $1,100 and go up from there.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glen71,
I'm looking for a couple of pre 64 70's also.. I live about 30 miles west of Houston. Do you know of any rifles in our area that are available.. pbppc at txucom.net
Thanks

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
Duckear, do you mind saying what he was asking?

Mark

not at all

he wanted $850 for a barrelled action with approx 85% finish, broken original stock and so-so Winchester take off stock (that I didn't like all that much) with rubber pad that came off a regular action. So, as is stood, it wouldn't shoot until the new stock had been fitted and bedded. I would hesitate to do that work myself on that much rifle/$$$ and I guess my smith would charge $100-150. (probably the latter). So I would have $1000 in an 85% "parts" gun. On gunsamerica, I have seen 95% original 300's going for 1000. Not a bad deal but not a great one. From a mutual aquaintance. I understand he has $350 in the action and $250 in the take off stock. I don't begrudge him getting a good deal and marking it up, I just wish he hadn't already bought the extra stock and didn't have as much money tied up in this rifle. Oh well. may regret it later. But the plus side is he is a really nice guy and we had a nice chat about rifles in general.

I have only been looking a week or so and am in no hurry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last month I purchasrd a Pre War 70 serial # 13XXX. Metal is 95%+. the stock was shortened and cut for a receiver sight. It's a 30/06, and I got it for $575 here in San Diego.

To me, yours sounds too expensive!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good shooter grade pre '64 (80%>Wink in the magnum action will go for $900.00-$1200.00, depending on condition and year of manufacture. Standard calibres (.270/30-06) hover in the $550.00-$750.00 range. Other calibres bring approximately 15%-25% more. Supergrades are in another league.

Keep the faith as they can still be found in good condition and at reasonable prices. I've heard prices have gone down a little, probably a rumor though.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote