New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope spacing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just finished putting together a new rifle/barrel/scope combination. My question comes as....how close....between objective bell and barrel is too close. This setup...the way it is ... .030" clearance. Will I have any trouble with this? I wanted it close...didn't figure it quite that close.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
.030" is as good as a mile. I've had less. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did you use to get that .030 measurement, a feeler guage? Big Grin

You want enough clearance to keep the barrel from whacking, or otherwise making contact with the scope. Some people prefer to have enough clearance to place a scope cap over the objective without contacting the barrel. .030 is pretty close...

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You could mill out a flat area on the top of your barrel, I've seen this before and looks very custom and nice. A little less work would be to use the next size up rings, .030 is close but if it is not making contact now I can't see where it ever would.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
You could mill out a flat area on the top of your barrel, I've seen this before and looks very custom and nice. A little less work would be to use the next size up rings, .030 is close but if it is not making contact now I can't see where it ever would.

It can't. The scope cover can have a little slot cut into it so it will fit. Done that too. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb2706:
I just finished putting together a new rifle/barrel/scope combination. My question comes as....how close....between objective bell and barrel is too close. This setup...the way it is ... .030" clearance. Will I have any trouble with this? I wanted it close...didn't figure it quite that close.

If you have .030 clearance, you have .025 too much.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers.......get to go try it out this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote