Find
Notify
Tools

Restamping a 7mag barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I'm planning on selling a Laredo 7mmRem Mag that has been rechambered to 7STW. The smith that did the work died before he restamped it.

The current stamp is in the writing on the barrel like a normal M70. All I have is a set of 3/32 stamps and an alignment tool. Should I restamp it? If so where? Over the REM Mag or Mark Through the Rem Mag and Stamp 7STW back in front of the action. Or let the new owner have it done the way he wants?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes re-stamp it. It's just a factory barrel so I wouldn't worry too much about where it is stamped, just so it's stamped for the correct caliber. You could probably go in there with a hammer and a punch and peen the living hell out of the area and re-stamp it, or, mill out the whole thing and re-stamp it in the old footprint. However, were it mine, I would be tempted just to neatly xxx out the "Rem Mag" stamp and stamp STW above that. Unless you are going to enter it in a show. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since these both headspace on the belt, there should not be a safety problem, but in all fairness to a future owner, you should make sure he is aware the chamber is NOT a 7mm Rem Mag.

I would suggest you contact an engraver with a Cronite Engraving machine...he can etch something like "Re chambered to 7mm STW

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I guess to be on the safe side I'd better restamp it. I have a take off barrel I think I'll play with and see if I can do a little flattening and restamp over the REM. We will see.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I had a customer who brought me his newly purchased (internet) Browning A-bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. He'd managed to strip the threads on the rifle's BOSS, which I repaired. He called me a couple weeks later to tell me he had a problem with the rifle. When he fired it the cases came out with straight walls. Yes, someone had rechambered it to STW without stamping it. No one got hurt but it would've been a lot better if it were stamped correctly when chambered.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote