THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    A little checkering from the shop of James Anderson

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little checkering from the shop of James Anderson
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I got these a few day's ago from James Anderson. They are some "work in progress" photo's from a Mini Mauser project that's nearing completion. James has put a lot of hard work into this rifle and it shows.

Roger Kehr has most of the metal work right now and hopefully has begun on a nice engraving job.

The checkering pattern is borrowed from an old W.J. Jeffery stalking rifle which this whole rifle is roughly based off of. It's tastfully conservative.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
that is just beutiful wood and the craftmenship is amazing

Posts: 10 | Location: kodiak ak | Registered: 13 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's a project that I've followed with more interest than this one, thanks for letting us join you on the ride.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Terry,

WOW! I am really looking forward to seeing this rifle completed!

What engraving are you having done?

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Very nice. James has the '36 Mex Mauser I bought from you and I am looking forward to the same quality job on it! We are actually following the stock template for your mini... kind of an English stalking rifle styling.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's pretty much why even if I had the mad skills I couldn't checker high dollar stocks, that wood is intimidatingly beautiful, I'd sweat bullets getting close to it with anything sharper and harder than a wad of used bubble gum.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim, it's going to have the quater rib and front sight stippled, the rear sight marked with gold, all the bolt heads scrolled, the floorplate, trigger guard, the little islands for the rear sight and grip cap will also have scroll. The lettering will be very simple. Just the caliber and serial # and last but not least it'll have two gold bands at the muzzle and shank of the barrel. It won't be over done but you'll be able to see it's been to the engraver from about any angle.

On this checkering I can't wait to see it with oil in the diamonds. It's really going to come alive then.

bwanamrm, I'll be watching your's closely. Wink

Terry

posted Hide Post
This has been a fantastic rifle project. For my money this checkering pattern follows the theme of the rifle very well. How many lpi did you go with for with the checkering Terry?

Posts: 21 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 10 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry

Do you have one that shows the entire checkering cradle?

Nice wood!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I got these a few day's ago from James Anderson. They are some "work in progress" photo's from a Mini Mauser project that's nearing completion. James has put a lot of hard work into this rifle and it shows.

Roger Kehr has most of the metal work right now and hopefully has begun on a nice engraving job.

The checkering pattern is borrowed from an old W.J. Jeffery stalking rifle which this whole rifle is roughly based off of. It's tastfully conservative.

Terry

AWESOME!!! WOW!!!
That is exquisite checkering.. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, that is looking fantastic. Can not wait to see the finished product.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The chercking is indeed pretty, but not as pretty as the inletting. Outstanding.

Posts: 1150 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like what i see !! very sleek lines and a simple/clean checkering..nice Smiler

Posts: 20 | Location: sweden | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
The chercking is indeed pretty, but not as pretty as the inletting. Outstanding.

X2 I wish more guys would post pics of the inletting.

Terry, this has been a long project but, darn, it sure looks like it's worth the wait. James did some fantastic work and this rifle will surely be a blessing in the field.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Very nice work indeed---I am impressed!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is right behind Terry's and the metal is out for engraving also. My wood was a second, but if James sends some photos, I will post them. Maybe we could get Jim Kobe to post photos of my other rifle that he is stocking.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Mine is right behind James and the metal is out for engraving also. My wood was a second, but if James sends some photos, I will post them. Maybe we could get Jim Kobe to post photos of my other rifle that he is stocking.
Butch

Butch, have you checked lately?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5507 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wood and the pistolgrip checkering looks werry beautifull. The inletting outstanding.

Is it my computerscreen that messes up, or is the frontstock checkering some kind of basketweave checkering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

... inletting outstanding.

Yeh, tidy engine bay work, James- Big Grin

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
The wood and the pistolgrip checkering looks werry beautifull. The inletting outstanding.

Is it my computerscreen that messes up, or is the frontstock checkering some kind of basketweave checkering

I am guessing it must be the flash, but I am seeing the same thing...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
And I told James No basketweave checkering! Big Grin

I'm sure it's just the picture and a vertigo effect.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I was wandering about this project...WOW

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Far be it for me to knock anyone's work , However when are some of you going to learn the correct method of

placement ? the bolt goes on the other side of the receiver and obviously the stock as well !.

I've had nothing but trouble with those fellows making the actions for the same reasons , for YEARS now !

James Anderson ; VERY NICELY DONE !!!.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Absolutely beautiful stock! Great job James!

Any full lenght pictures of the stock?

What finish did you use?

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:

Any full lenght pictures of the stock?

Best,
Dave

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry

To refresh everyone's memory, didn't James Anderson custom craft the bottom metal from scratch as well?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
James made a run of minimauser bottom metal.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:

Me too!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
That is gorgeous! Very nice.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote