New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jard trigger for Winchester M70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with a Jard trigger for a M70 Winchester?

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not for the M70, but I *did* just put one in a M700.

I tore the factory trigger apart, put the new pieces in, and popped it in the rifle.

I haven't gotten to fire it yet, but have done a good bit of dry firing with it.

The jury is still out, but my initial impressions are that I like it. I'm not completely bowled over by the improvement, but it does feel "nice".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore,

I Just learnt about Jard triggers and you can get them for Weatherby.

With a lighter trigger return spring and careful sear engagement a Weatherby will nornally come to around a 1 pound pull with reliability but sometimes 1.5 pounds or so.

Jard is advertising 6 oz to 10 oz. What do you think of the quality and also their claims. If I was in America I would just buy one to try but these days it is a big deal bringing stuff out of America.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is the Jard M-70 trigger designed. I wouldn't replace the trigger on a M-70 with anything but a tighter toleranced version of the same trigger. The Winchester M-70 trigger is simply the best HUNTING trigger ever designed, though it is sometimes lacking in manufacturing tolerances...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike-

I got their "varmint" version, the one measured in ounces.

Like I said above, it seems to be a good trigger.

And at the price (well below even a Timney), I figured I had to try it.

Once I get it to the range & actually send some rounds downrange with it, I'll make my final determination, but as of now, I like it.

On another note, what's hard about buying trigger parts? I know a rifle/action, and even now a scope with a mil-dot reticle ( Roll Eyes ), is a tough export, but I didn't think a trigger (or parts of one) would be tough. It's it the gov't on your end or ours that's making it hard?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
How is the Jard M-70 trigger designed.

dj-

Go to www.jardinc.com to check them out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not too bad at our end it is the export licence needed for the US business. Over $100 it cuts in. Some places like Huntingtons will break orders for cases into smaller groups and there is no problem if we have an agent for the company out here.

A mate of mine is waiting a couple of months for a muzzle brake, one of those ones with the big hole on either side like a tank. But another US company might not worry about it.

I was thinking of a Jard to do on a solid bottom Wby as they use to do the solid bottom in their varmint rifle. Or if I could get them to do a solid bottom full size Mark V. Just a sort of "just to have" rifle as I have started a collection from the Wby custom shop. But for me a 1 pound trigger just does not go with a solid bottom action. AND YES, I know life with a Rem or Nesika etc but I am no longer into that scene as it basically wears you out after while.

Does the Jard look like a quality item.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike-

If it only kicks in at $100, you should be fine. The Jard kit was about half that figure...

And yes, it looks like a quality piece of work. (On the M700 trigger, you only get basically the "guts" and have to install it in your housing. Makes everything very easy to see & inspect...)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you could really get them to 6 ounces I reckon they would feel better than a 3 lever trigger at say 3 ounces.

By the way Jewells never feel as good to me on a Model 70 as a Rem 700. Perhaps a lighter firing pin spring in the M70 and does not feel as snappy.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
After looking at their Website and examing the pictures I would only use the Jard M-70 Trigger on a Target rifle. For less money a moderately competant gunsmith should be able to repin, polish and tighten up the standard M-70 trigger into as good a hunting trigger as can be had. I think changing the design on a M-70 Hunting trigger is a bad idea.
I would love to hear what D'Arcy Echols, Mark Penrod or other superb M-70 gunsmith would have to say about this...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the exercise is to get about 1/2 to 1 # trigger for a varmint/target rifle.

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the dollars just get a Jewell. They are also great because weight of pull and sear engagement is adjustable without taking the rifle apart.

You order tem with three different springs and than lets you have adjustment ranges of about

2 oz to 12 oz

10 oz to 1.5 pounds

1.5 to about 4 pounds.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
If you have the dollars just get a Jewell.

Yeah, like 4 times as many dollars...

And call me crazy, but I just am not enamored with the Jewell the way some people are.

I just sold off one of my Jewells out of a M700, and another one is getting ready to come out as well...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What problems have you had with them.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Jard for a M70 is just under $100(dealer price)which means no export permit -that makes getting it here a lot quicker and easier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. I just noticed you are in Sydney.

For some reason they only have heavier pulls on Rugers and Mausers.

Someone also just told me that bloke at Pro Cal is bringing the Jard triggers in.

Mike