Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p14 enfield
 Login/Join

posted
I have a p14 enfield and was wondering if it is safe to load up the .303 to higher pressures
also
would it work to rechamber it to say a .303/.300win mag
cam300

Posts: 15 | Location: manitoba Canada | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or, you could sell me the Enfield and buy yourself a 300 mag....(:-) Roger.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the .311 bullets on the market would hold up to 300 win velocities but I could be wrong. The 303 works pretty well as it is on deer.

You can load to higher pressure with the p14, I don't know how much you'll gain though. Go to http://www.303british.com for lots of information on reloading the 303.

Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a P14 Winchester that I load to considerably higher intensity that recommended for the SMLE.
Chronographed loads with 170gn projectiles run 2700fps and with 150gn 2840fps. This moves the 303 British up very close the 30/06 class of rifle.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I believe the .303 SMLE is a much weaker action and the .303 Brittish is loaded for that action. This means that one could substantially improve performance in the P-14 Rifle. However I'd not attempt it with out specific loading data....further, I have no experience with that rimmed cartridge...so be advised!!

My loading book uses .312 diameter bullets for the .303 VS .308 bullets for the .300 mags.

That .004 just might requite a special chambering reamer to convert to the .303-.300 mag... It looks like a messy operation and of significant expense.

You could rebarrel it but that's not cheap as well.

I'd personally recommend you learn to shoot it "as is" or trade it for a gun that has the power you'd prefer to have.

If you have the skills and equipment to work on it yourself,there's a whale of an education in converting it to a fine sporter. If you must hire most of the work, you'll have The price of a new M-70 super grade tied up in it very quickly and still have a p-14.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot my 303 Match Rifle at about 2720 with 174 grain bullets. Thisfrom a 26" barrel. With a M10 Ross I could get just over 2600 with 180s using 4350. The same rifle rechambered to 303 Epps can get close to 2800 using the same powder.
A Lee Enfield loaded to 2500 with 180s will yield pitiful case life due to stretching. With the P14 there is no problem with this of course. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM me about this. I have experience here. You can also check out my posts on www.canadiangunnutz.com on this topic. (I believe I've also posted similar things about this topic of this board as well as www.24hourcamprire.com.)

Here is an answer to your question:

1. Can I load .303 British cartridges to higher pressures in a P-14? Answer: Yes. The case capacity of the .303 and the .308 are virtually identical. So far I've found that you can use loading-manual powder charges for the .308 in your .303 handloads without problems, but it pays to work your way up. I still find that IMR 4320 is hard to beat in .303 handloads.

2. Can I make a ".303 Winchester Magnum" out of my P-14? Answer: You'd better believe it, friend! I've done this. You need to install a longer magazine box. All you need to do is have your gunsmith re-cut the chamber with a .300 Winchester Magnum reamer and headspace. That's it.

When you handload, you can use ordinary .300 Winchester Magnum dies and data, but substitute .303 bullets for the .30s. I also find it prudent to TURN THE NECKS ON THE .300 WIN MAG BRASS BY .003". This allows the neck to expand and release the fatter bullet without problems.

So far I've found that 71 grains of Vihtavuouri N160 will send five moly-coated 150-grain Hornady .303 bullets into an easy 1.5 inches or better at 200 metres from this rifle. Not too bad for something made 90 years ago.

I've emailed Hornady requesting that they make a 174-grain .303 Interbond, which would be the ultimate bullet for this cartridge (or the .303 British, for that matter). I'd urge you to email them with the same request.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a P14 that was rechambered to handle .308 Norma brass with .311 bullets. This rifle was converted by Ellwood Epps, and didn't require any magazine alterations. The velocity potentials of the the .300 WinMag and the .308 Norma are virtually identical.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, I've been looking for a good forum for this and know i found one
the p14 i have was given to me by my uncle it has a modern stock but who ever owned it before my uncle had absolutely no idea how to inlet a rifle i have spent the last month building a bedding area for the gun
but it is starting to take shape.
I also have two actions a p17 and a p14 which i would sell only in canada sorry I'm tired of jumping through hoops to send something to the states.
I think i will rechamber it to the 303/300 and use it for a utility rifle since i have one already in .300 mag and one in .375 hh
thanks again guys
camk

Posts: 15 | Location: manitoba Canada | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions about this conversion.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you want for the actions Cam? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks P-17 I will
camk

posted Hide Post
I'm Not sure dan I will post some pictures of them and you can judge from there.
probably around $100 to $200