New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for a good set of scewdrivers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried the bunch and come up with something good? I tried those Forster/Bonanza from Sinclair and I am a bit dissapointed as they warp when forced a bit.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Brownells fixed handled set. I also have the full set of Magna Tips, but must admit I seldom use them except for the thin bit set.

It seems that when I normally need a screw driver I already have something in one hand so putting it down to pick out and assemble the magna tip is inconvenient, for me anyway.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned the Brownell Magna set for many years. Works great. A few have snapped and Brownells replaces them immediately for free. Even though it was most likely my fault they broke in the first place.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, now you tell me. lol I have a box that is half full of broken ones. I always just bought new ones.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Forsters are OK,I get the same twisting problem but they clean up fine.

I like the Magnas for a few reasons:
Firstly they come in all different widths
Secondly they are easily thinned down on the top of my 1" belt sander
Thirdly and most useful is that the tips are so hard, if you really have a stuck screw, the tip will shatter and not mess up your screw slot.

A good set of fixed blade drivers will always be on hand too, I think you just end up with a mish mash of tools that all serve a purpose well at one point or another.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the 89-piece sets made by Wheeler several months ago and it's worked out very well for me. I also use a set of the Forester screwdrivers when I need to grind a tip for something unusual.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use W R Grace. I break 'em, he replaces them.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For screw driver tips try Chapman MFG. Company.
I use several of their kits, straight slotted, Torx, Allen Hex, Phillips, Robertson.

Here's their URL:
http://www.chapmanmfg.com/

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenjoy:
For screw driver tips try Chapman MFG. Company.
I use several of their kits, straight slotted, Torx, Allen Hex, Phillips, Robertson.

Here's their URL:
http://www.chapmanmfg.com/

Did they just get your power hooked up? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By far the best ones we have come by are Galazans gunsmithing set in the wood block. They are s series tool steel. Not cheap but well worth the $200 if you use them for a living. We have 3 sets of them in our shop. BTW, they are all grind to fit. Once you use them you will have very little use for all your other screwdrivers.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both of the largest Brownell set and the largest Wheeler set. The Wheelers are more brittle than the Brownell ones, I prefer the Brownells.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:
By far the best ones we have come by are Galazans gunsmithing set in the wood block. They are s series tool steel. Not cheap but well worth the $200 if you use them for a living. We have 3 sets of them in our shop. BTW, they are all grind to fit. Once you use them you will have very little use for all your other screwdrivers.
Thanks for the info.I found them on their web sight and see that Midway is selling them.I think I might give them a try sometime.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To cover all of the bases, I bought the Magna Tip and the Wheeler set. I also have a bunch of cheap fixed screw drivers that I grind to fit a specific slot if necessary.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forsters are too weak for me, and bend.

Champions break.

I have been hoarding garage sale screwdrivers by the dozen, and re grinding them to the tip shape I want.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote