bottom metal ID
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the bottom metal is in this pic:

http://kevinsguns.com/index.ph...oduct&product_id=438

I don't know what the release type is. Second, where can one be found?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Rather common lever latch type of Mauser. I have one on one of my rifles that is an original Mauser. I started building them with levers while in Gunsmith school. Fairly simple modification and is actually handy. It's pretty well detailed in Jon Speeds books.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
thanks. i'm sure i can find the book on amazon.

exact title?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, but that particular bottom metal may be a deeper version found only on some pre-war Oberndorf mauser sporters. I have seen them mostly on 10.75x68 chambered rifles. I have a lot to see and learn, and I can't say if that is the deeper version for sure or not, but it looks like it might be one.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
can you explain a little further, Matt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.nitroexpress.com...er=87679&an=0&page=2

Look at the bottom picture of the Mauser in 10.75x68. I don't know if the floorplate is of the pocket type, or if the magazine is a little deeper, but it looks different to me than the typical military style magazine/floor plate found on Oberndorf commercial mausers. It could be that I'm flat out wrong. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me (shouldn't be hard to find!) can verify or debunk my observation.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have no idea exactly what you are talking about the plate being deeper. The one on my 375 is from a 10.75 and appears to be totally standard as to the actual floorplate with just the lever added. I had to open the front of the magazine to lengthen for 375H&H. This floorplate is detailed on page 128/129 of Jon Speeds book 'Original Obendorf Sporters' under 'Floorplates and Release Techniques'. It shows the three common types of the ones Mauser supplied. It is described as the most secure and preferred by European sportsmen. It is nicely hinged whereas the ones I built were conversions of militaries and not hinged. Mine is on a custom 375H&H that uses an original Westley-Richards 318 accelerated SSB action. Barrel is a 375 with integral rib built by David Miller. I put one of Rusty Marlins Rigby cocking piece sights on it. Stock is a nice piece of American Black Walnut that Curt Crum profiled in his and David Miller's profile which I prefer over others. Made into a nice rifle that I never got to use in Africa. The original bolt knob was neatly engraved and so I never modified it for scope. That's about all I know about them except they seemed to be the most common ones found on sporters brought back after WWII.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Thanks, again fellas for the input. On another note, what are the opinions of folks regarding the in the bow style floorplate release button unit found on some Interarms/Whitworth guns?

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
That was the 3rd standard bottom end for Mauser. I personally prefer them but they aren't as positive as the lever type. Duane Weibe makes a beautiful one as does Williams. There are probably 1/2 dozen produced today. They are rather expensive. The 1909 military came with one. They just don't have the raised button. On my 7x57 custom the gunsmith built up the button with weld to duplicate the original Obendorf sporter configuration. I don't really like the shape of the trigger bow on the Obendorf. There is just something about it I find displeasing.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally love the Oberndorf style bow. The Whiteworth bottom metals seem to always be over polished. Duane Wiebe and Swift/Blackburn make bottom metals with a bit different shape than the Oberndorf, but are also beautiful. I like the Oberndorf style for rifles built in the Pre-war Mauser and Rigby forms. For just about everything else, Wiebe and Blackburn stuff looks good to me. I've seen old Jeffery and H&H rifles with guard bows somewhat similar to Wiebe and Blackburn's designs. I've heard it said, and can believe it, that Wiebe and Blackburn's guard bow shape is less prone to allowing the floorplate to open up during recoil. BTW, Blackburn/Swift does offer some models with the Oberndorf shape.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for info..we do make a replica Oberndorf guard for the 98 in 7x57 length

That is Awesome!!!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Still dislike the Obendorf bow. But I am probably the only one who really doesn't particularly like the abbreviated forends on Rigby's and many English big bores,in fact I am really not awed by them at all. I actually LIKE the basic American pattern of stock design. I rarely condemn any bodies likes and dislikes in firearms design. I just know what I like and dislike.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a typical Guild or custom Mauser bottom metal, or could be an original Mauser bottom metal.. I don't think its a drop box but I suppose it could have been modified to be one judging from the picture. I have several of them..some are actually modified milsurp Mauser boxes, and this one could be a drop box modification but its hard to say from a picture..Ask the owner how many rounds it will take down, that would answer that question..It sure is a nice rifle.

The Lever Mauser box on a 10.75x68 is usually a gunsmith extended box length box, but not necesssarily, as I have seen some old Mauser done both ways..a lot can be done with any box and not all of them are original Mauser boxes, so one must get them out of the wood and look them over for modifications I suppose...Its very easy to copy the original boxes, and modify the stocks and much of that was done by some old German gunsmith whose shop was in a closet in his house, and he could make a perfect ball out of an anvil with a horseshoe rasp. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote