New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a good shotgun smith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a double barrel 12 guage that has been dented, who does that work.

To add a little more information. It is a Simson & Suhl 12 guage double barrel 2 3/4 inch chambers nitro proofed 26 inch barrels. The gun locks up tight and over all is in good condition. The barrels have a series of small dents nothing real big but really unsightly. I am going to refinish the wood and clean up the checkering. Depending on what it would cost to fix the barrels really depends on what I do with it.
I don't think it is worthy of 5-6 hundred on the barrels but just hate to scrap the barrels if they can be saved.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Orlen. Go to www.shotgunworld.com The gunsmithing forum is moderated by Mike. He has his prices and services posted there for review.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Repair or restore? Mike will refer you to Kirk Merrington in Kerrville Texas. I just went through the same drill with my Superposed. Kirk is Purdy trained and does beautiful work. Prices are on his website but to fix the barrel and reblue was about $550 including a very well done rust blue.

If this gun isn't worth that level of restoration there are lots of guys with dent pullers you can buy at Brownells.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1316 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kirk is a good smith and an honorable gentlemen

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will try to get a hold of him and see what can be done.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote